Th350 & Th400 Torque converters - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last journal entry: The Paint Shop
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Th350 & Th400 Torque converters

Hi.

Does anyone know what is the difference between stock th400 and th350 torque converters?

The th400 is bigger, but is the stall also higher?

Just wondering because I'm ordering a street fighter 2400 stall for my camaro and it will only reach me in two months.

My mechanic said that he can give me a stock th400 converter until then, but is there any use for it? My tran is th 350.

Tks,
Houman SS '70

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Hi Houman!

The stall speed of the converter depends on the engine and chassis the trans was installed in not the trans. TH350's and TH400's can use the same converter but in most applications a stock 400 converter will have a lower stall speed not higher as they were usually installed in heavier vehicles with large displacement high torque engines. On the other hand a stock small block converter installed behind a big block will give higher stall speeds due to the greater low speed torque. Years ago the "hot" trick was to install a Vega 4 cylinder converter behind your small block for more stall speed. Not a good idea......... they usually didn't last very long. Don't ask me how I know........

What other converter choices are available to you? I know you want to get that 383 on the road but it may be worth it to wait a couple months to get the right converter.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

Glenn,

Actually I sold my 455 h.o. along with it's th 350 to a guy with a junkie 1972 camaro. He had a 307 sbc and a th 350.

I got his tran instead of mine, but now my mechanic is saying that he'll give me his 400 converter until I get the TCI.

So I'm not relly paying for it, but it will work definitly right?

Take care,
Houman
Old 06-13-2005, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

Yeah it will fit but I'm not sure how well your cam will like it but it will let you get the motor fired and broken in and I know how anxious you are for that.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

I am really anxious, you know?!

So what are you up to? Did your neighbor friends have kids?
And what happened to their kids?

Sorry to remind you, but I was curious to know.

Take care,
Houman
Old 06-14-2005, 06:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houman SS '70
I am really anxious, you know?!

So what are you up to? Did your neighbor friends have kids?
And what happened to their kids?

Sorry to remind you, but I was curious to know.

Take care,
Houman
Her kids are close to my age and have kids, in fact she and her husband were on their way to their Grandson's 10th birthday party when the accident happened. She always drove if they went anywhere together. A 17 year old kid with a suspended license driving somebody else's car lost control on a 4 lane divided highway and skid from the shoulder on his side across the raised median and the inside lane on their side, sideswiped the car ahead of them and hit them head on in the left front. Their truck spun around and was hit again by the truck behind them. The kid in the car got out and took off running, the police found him a little later and took him to the hospital, we heard that despite serious injuries he escaped from the hospital and is still at large. The car was reported stolen shortly after that, my guess is the owner heard about the wreck and is just trying to cover their butt because of the accident. They haven't released a lot of details but he was travelling well above the 65 MPH limit. He was in an Acura, they were in a 2002 Chevy Silverado, even after sliding across 4 lanes of traffic and hitting another car he was still carrying enough speed to go halfway through the cab of a full size pickup and spin it around. She had mutiple fractures in both legs, pelvis and arms and had she survived would have lost her left leg. She also had massive internal and head injuries. She was only minutes from one of the best trauma centers in the area but there was nothing they could do for her. Her husband suffered several broken ribs and cuts and abrasions but was released in time to attend the visitation and funeral.

Make the best of every day, it may well be your last.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.