Th350 Tranny swap DRIVE SHAFT ISSUES - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 03:02 PM

Last journal entry: How sweet it is!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Th350 Tranny swap DRIVE SHAFT ISSUES

Just trying to weigh out my options here.
I have a 79 Trans Am that has a Th350 in it. Its the WORST TH350 of the bunch as its the Olds. bell housing style. I have put a 350 CHEBBY engine in the car and I required the TCI adapter plate so the block would mount properly to the tranny.

Its time to replace the tranny. I have a good buddy that has a very low miles TH 350 in a 81 chevy pick up that he's willing to sell me. The tail shaft on his tranny measures out to be a 9 inch. My original tranny has the 6 inch. Naturally my drive shaft won't work with his tranny.

So what are my options? I really don't want to cut and modify my drive shaft. I guess we could swap tail shafts however that may be more trouble then its worth as im almost positive that it requires dismantling the tranny from front to back to swap tails?

Since they did NOT make any TH350's with 9 inch tails for a 79 Bird is there any other drive shafts out there that I may get LUCKY and be a perfect fit for my application? Im NOT Sure what the 79 Monte's have regarding tail length?

Thanks for any and all replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 03:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar ray
Just trying to weigh out my options here.
I have a 79 Trans Am that has a Th350 in it. Its the WORST TH350 of the bunch as its the Olds. bell housing style. I have put a 350 CHEBBY engine in the car and I required the TCI adapter plate so the block would mount properly to the tranny.

Its time to replace the tranny. I have a good buddy that has a very low miles TH 350 in a 81 chevy pick up that he's willing to sell me. The tail shaft on his tranny measures out to be a 9 inch. My original tranny has the 6 inch. Naturally my drive shaft won't work with his tranny.

So what are my options? I really don't want to cut and modify my drive shaft. I guess we could swap tail shafts however that may be more trouble then its worth as im almost positive that it requires dismantling the tranny from front to back to swap tails?

Since they did NOT make any TH350's with 9 inch tails for a 79 Bird is there any other drive shafts out there that I may get LUCKY and be a perfect fit for my application? Im NOT Sure what the 79 Monte's have regarding tail length?

Thanks for any and all replies

The difference is in the rear housing and the tail shaft lengths. You can take both apart and swap the tail shafts and parts attached thereto and rear housings and come out fine.

Bogie
Old 04-30-2009, 03:44 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Cut and modify the driveshaft or disassemble the trans completely to swap the output shaft. You won't find a driveshaft that bolts in.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

You might get lucky and find a shaft that fits, I have not had to cut a shaft in years, and I build 5 to 10 cars a year, It may be a Ford shaft, or AMC that fits, but it's pretty certain there is one out there. I have an AMC Marlin with a T350, and BBC in it with a Dodge Aspen driveshaft in it, and a chevy half ton with a stock front shaft, and a rear shaft out of a Gremlin. Whatever fits.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:02 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

why dont you just get a 6" tail th350 ? i dont see any issue here at all.

good luck
Old 04-30-2009, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

thanks guys!

fast 68: the reason i just dont get a th350 with 6 inch length is because my buddy is willing to give me his good th350 for next to nothing
Old 05-02-2009, 12:03 AM

Last photo:

The 350 trannys are the same...only the tail shafts are different.

But the tailshaft is one of the first parts to go into the bare case. If the car were mine...I'd either look at rebuilding my transmission (6" shaft) and keeping the stock driveshaft, or putting in my buddy's transmission and getting my driveshaft cut down.

Rebuilding the tranny sounds like a better idea to me...as the 350 trannys require some special tools that should be readily available at the local parts store but the actual rebuilding should be fairly straightforward to accomplish over a weekend.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Jakeshoe has a nice TH350 build article at the top of the trans section here. The 350 doesn't take many specialty tools. Maybe just this one.>>>>>>>>>>
https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/prod...&cat=63&page=1
Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 AM

Last photo:

hinklejd

Thanks for the suggestion. the CURRENT tranny in the car was the stock olds. 403 bolt pattern tranny. Being that I installed a small block cheby that cranks out nearly 500 horses + a NOS bottle with 4.10 rear gears, I may have been pressing my luck by using an adapter plate sandwiched between motor and bell housing.

I was keen on using a Chevy bolt 350 Tranny that has the proper bolt patters for my block eliminating the need for an adapter plate. I wanted to avoid CUTTING or modifying the drive shaft in any way shape or form. So the only problem I was having was by using my buddy's chevy bolt pattern tranny Im at the mercy of modifying the drive shaft.

Since BOTH tranny's are out side by side on the bench. I'll strip them both down. I have planned on using my ORIGINAL tail shaft so NO drive shaft mod will be necessary. While BOTH tranny's are on the bench, as you mentioned, for a fairly low cost a rebuild may be the best way to go. I have NEVER rebuilt a 350 but fortunately its WHO you know in this world. A gentlemen I know can build them in his sleep. His fee a case of beer (lets just hope he drinks it AFTER its built )

So if im "NOT" missing anything here? By using my original tail shaft the original output shaft has to go with it. Meaning the entire thing has to come apart from front to back. Im pretty eager to watch and learn the process. Haven't dipped my feet in the 350 waters yet.

Thanks again everyone
Old 05-04-2009, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

You've pretty much got it. Tear them both down, then pull the output shaft and tailshaft housing from both and swap. A performance rebuild would also be good for the power you're putting out.

Use compressed air for cleaning -- no rags. Lint from rags will get caught in the passages and kill the trans.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:55 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Being that I installed a small block cheby that cranks out nearly 500 horses + a NOS bottle with 4.10 rear gears, I may have been pressing my luck by using an adapter plate sandwiched between motor and bell housing.
FWIW, I used TCI adaptor plate between a 455 Pontiac and a Chevy-pattern TH400. The engine was stout, w/a LOT of torque, in a 3500 lb. car.

Never had a minute's problem with the set-up.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.