th350 trans leak. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2010, 02:10 PM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

th350 trans leak.

my 41 pontiac has a 350/350 in it. Not sure what year. The car gets driven about 1,000 miles a year. Hasn't been out in 6 months. Drove it about 10 miles, no prob, as i walked away I saw a red trail. It is leaking fluid badly. pulled the dust cover and it appears to be coming from the seal between the torque converter and front of the trans. Low on fluid, but noticed nothing wrong with the trans while driving, so I don't think I've ruined anything. Trans has always worked perfectly and didn't leak. I'm thinking the seal dried out (many times) and maybe blew a chunk. Problem is, I don't have a lift, or much experience with auto trans. Any chance i could disconnect trans, slide it back and replace the seal? Or does it need to come completely out? don't think I can get it high enough to pull it out completely. What are the odds it is more than just the converter seal and has to come out.
Thanks for any insight.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 04:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If it is the front seal, then the trans does need to come down due to the torque converter needs to come out first. You are going to need to lift the car up high enough to drop the trans and remove the torque converter not necessarily take out the trans, just lower enough for the converter to come out. I've done this in my drive way and replaced the entire trans and converter with a $70 jack from pep boys. Be safe though use chocks and jack stands where you can. The front seal will need to be pressed on so be careful when installing. I use a piece of exhaust pipe and hammer it in evenly with gentle taps. Make sure its your front seal first! Check where the dipstick goes into the trans, pan, etc and be sure to identify the leak first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.