Hot Rod Forum banner

Th350 transmission has no forward gears?

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I just rebuilt my TH350 transmission and put in a new TC and when I first took it out on the road it ran great. I drove it around all day and tested every gear without any problems. However, the next morning I went to drive it and it would not move forward in any gear. It will however go in reverse. When I floored the gas it would rev like it does in park or neutral but when I would let up on the gas it would jerk a little but not move. Also, if I put it in drive for a minute and then quickly shift to low gear it will also jerk. Its not leaking or making any unusual sounds. I set the right clearance on the clutch packs and I put tranny fluid in the TC when installing it. The TC is a low stall TC. What could be causing it to do this?

#3 ·
richard stewart 3rd said:
Hi,
You need to drop the pan & check for friction material, there is something amiss in the forward clutch pack.

Reverse is on a different pack, low & reverse clutch & the direct clutch (3rd gear)
Rich
Thanks. I did just that and there was a lot of friction material. I thought it was do to the fact that I did not flush the coolant lines but it seems to be too much material to just be coming from there. The filter and oil screen were clogged by it. I have cleaned them off and am going to reinstall it and the valve body tomorrow.

#4 ·
Like Richard said, it has a problem in the Forward clutch, cleaning the screen and re-installing the valvebody will just be a waste of gaskets and fluid. Jerk it out, open it up and fix the situation before it messes up more of the internals. If cleaning the screen makes it work, it still won't last long, the damage has been done.

#5 ·
it would appear that parts replacement on this transmission was not correct if there is large amount of friction material in the pan.

Wash back from the cooler should have flushed out before this transmission with fresh parts was installed back into the vehicle.

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.