Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - TH350 to TURBO 400 CONVERSION
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2006, 08:39 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TH350 to TURBO 400 CONVERSION

Help

I'm sure dozens of you guys have done this, but it's a first for me. My 72 Nova now has a fresh 550 HP BB chevy upgrade and I still have the stock TH-350 with stock converter. My engine guy and his tranny buddy tell me I will destroy the TH-350 if I get the car to hook up good and beat on it. They told me to get a Turbo 400. Ok, that's fine but what's involved with installing it other than just buying it? What about driveshaft length, crossmember changeout, yoke, bolting up to the 454 block, etc. I want to know what I am getting into before I dump $800 for a performance rebuilt Turbo 400, only to maybe find out there's a lot more than meets the eye. Also, can I do all this myself in my garage? I've never done this but I am very handy and good with cars. I do everything myself when I can but I won't do something I am not capable of only to try and save a few hundred bucks. If you think I need to bring it to a tranny guy I will.

Thanks.