TH350 vs TH400 vs Glide - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2003, 04:42 PM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TH350 vs TH400 vs Glide

I'm building a '70 Chevelle Pro Street car. I'm wondering what tranny I should go with, this is not going to be a strictly race car and it will be driven around town on special occations and weekends. I have a Powerglide, Munci M22 and a TH400 sitting in my barn, the 4sp is out because I will be tearin stuff up. Most guys just tell me TH350, some Powerglide.. Will I loose power with a TH400? how does it compare to a TH350. here's the cars specs. Just tell me the best tranny that will make the car awesom off the line.. The stall is a 4000

70 Chevelle, Narrowed GM12 bolt, ford axles, Eaton Posi, Ladder bar with Coil over shocks. 4:56 gears Tubbed, 33x19.5x15 MT Sportsman tires. 10point cage.

Motor: 350 0.030 over
-TRW 12:1's @64cc
- The heads are Bowtie 492 Double humps, Race ported, Cut pockets, 2.02/1.60's Elgin Race Flo valves, Teflon Seals, 64cc chambers, Canfield 1.550 roller springs, 3 angle job.
-Harland Sharp roller rockers
-Crower Roller lifters
-Roller cam with 615/618 lift and 110 lobe seperation
-Modified Victor JR
-750 Holley Double Pumper
- Hooker Super Comp headers

Advertisement

Last edited by GearHead69; 10-01-2003 at 04:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I figure I`ll likely get flak for this, but I`d recommend the Th350, with a aftermarket sprag as well as other pieces to make it stout enough to hold up to your application. I wouldn`t recommend the glide if the car weights over 2900 pounds, if it does the glide will do you no good and you`d still have to gear it lower to get the same results as a Th350. TH400`s are stout tranny`s, but they require a bit more power to run and there slightly heavier, it too would need a heavy duty sprag.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:27 PM

Double vision is right on with everything. I noticed you are running a pretty tall tire, you could get away with 4:88 gears pretty easily and probably 5:13s depending on how many rpm you want to turn.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, turbo350. That small block isn't gonna break it if it's prepped right. Run a good trans cooler, not the one that comes with the radiator! I have worn out 2 turbo 350's with small blocks bolted to them. Got over 200,000 on one of them. My current 350 powered Camaro has abused my turbo350 several saturday afternoons and it still works like new.

A heavy duty sprag for the one way clutch and as many clutch frictions you can fit, some rebuilders machine the clutch pistons down to hold more frictions which gives more torque capacity to the turbo350. Turbos are real tough on bushings too, there are some improvements done their too. Research a little and find a competent shop or do it yourself. If you can rebuild a small block you can work on a turbo tranny!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.