Hot Rod Forum banner

TH350 what's going on?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dklong 
#1 ·
I don't know what to do now?
Me and my friend rebuilt the transmission according to the book (Ron Sessions).
Clearance between clutches and spacer plates as in the book. We put about 2 liters of ATF Dextron II to the converter and 6,5 liters to the tranny. On the dip stick it was very high level. Start the engine and we checked the oil level it was very high also, when I shift the gears, level was correct (full). I was trying to drive, first backwards, ok, than forward, ok. After break release car was willing to drive and was driving without pressing gas pedal.
After few tryies car was not willing to drive on its own, to make him drive I have to press gas more to move it. When I did that I saw white smoke, we do not know from where (maybe from vent valve?). I wanted to try if the car is shifting gears, so we put it on the road and it shifts gears (I think) ok, but on every gear it slips. More, we can hear grating sounds when switched to reverse or drive.
What was that white smoke?
Why it stoped working correctly?
We need help!

Regards, Pawel.

#2 ·
what kind of shifter are you using? if it`s the factory shifter and has bushings, without the bushings the shifter will be real loose and will not let it be all the way in gear, it`ll be "inbetween" gears so to speak, I`d check that first. also is the modulator valve`s control rod in? this is a common left out piece, it slips in behind the modulator valve and without it the tranny will slip, if both of these check out okay, I`d say something`s wrong internally, possible in the valve body, also check your modulator valve, just pull the vacuum line off the engine and see if there`s any traces of tranny fluid, this will cause white smoke.

#3 ·
I am using stock shifter, it is really loose but I can hear/feel a "click" during shifting, but of course I will check that.
Modulator valve line is connected. Transmission have no leaks.
I think it can be the pump or converter, what do you think?

#4 · (Edited)
pawel your trans doesn't sound good you may have installled a selective thrust washer in wrong

or a toricton bearing in backwards, or you left one out by mistake, the noise could be from the trans pump. the slipping could be caused by a torn seal, the white smoke ,coming from the tail pipe is a bad modulator vavle, or you spille dtrans fluid on your exhaust when filling the trans

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.