TH350 will not shift at WOT - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2003, 08:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post TH350 will not shift at WOT

Hello everyone! I've been searching around on the net for info on a problem I'm having with a TH350. From the messages I've read so far on this forum, it seems that there are a few tranny vets that know their stuff. I did a search and found another topic simular to this, but it did not answere my question. Well here goes!

Vehical specs are listed below. The transmission shift fine at anything short of wide open throttle. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are firm and quick at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 throttle. Any more, no shift.

I've checked and confirmed that there is a good vacuum source for the modulator and that the modulator seems to be okay (someone told me there would be tranny fluid on the vacuum side if the diaphram was bad). The TV cable is properly adjusted and does not bind. I swapped out the govenor with another "color". There is still no difference.

Any ideas? Here are the specs for the truck.

1983 Chevy C10
Goodwrench 350/Crane 268adv duration .454int/exhaust lift/Weiand Xcellerator/Holly 750CFM DP
2500-3000stall, HD rebuild kit (less than 2K miles), red band modulator (ajustable, i think), i have both a green with yellow spring and orange with yellow spring govenor. The green is in it now.
3.73 open diff

There is no shift kit installed, but I do have one sitting here if that will help. I figured that I should find out why it isn't shifting before I installed it. After I built the motor up, the truck has sat on and off over the last 2 years (I bought a Honda to drive 80 miles round trip), mainly weekend fun. The shifting problem occured after the last stint of sitting (about 2 months). Took it to the track and found out. I drive it pretty soft around town (very loud), and it shifts fine at partial throttle. Looked like a fool at the track when all it did was bounce off my rev limmiter... Thanks in advanced for any help!

Ben

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: quadman_20 ]

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: quadman_20 ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2003, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

Check vacume source, at intake sounds like carbon build up, or cracked hose.If thats ok disconnect kick down cable(yea I know some reply on that will follow) reconnect if thats no help.You might try hand held vacume pump with 15 inch vacume will shift soft and soon but that might tell you where you need to look farther.

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: airworld2 ]</p>
Old 04-13-2003, 11:11 AM

Vacuum is fine. Hoses are fine.

I checked the metal tube also. Cleaned it out with a bit of brake clean and compressed air. Nipple on intake was just replaced and looked fine.

I did hook a vacuum gage up in line with the modulator still hooked up and it acted like it was suppose to.

I will try dissconnecting the kick down cable.

Thanks
Ben
Old 04-13-2003, 04:35 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I know that you said that the TV cable is adjusted correctly and not binding. As Airworld2 hinted, it sounds to me like that may be where the problem is. If it is shifting everywhere but WOT, it doesn't sound like vacuum or an internal problem. Changing the governor should have no effect on it either, as they usually will cause no shift or late shift if it is acting up.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

sounds like the TV cable is to tight?
Old 04-14-2003, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've been busy so I havn't been able to try disconnecting the TV cable yet. From what I have gathered (well more like what people have been telling me) that is most likely the problem.. Makes sense.. The transmission is wanting to "kick down" at WOT..

Thanks again
Ben

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.