th400 basic setup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 04:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

th400 basic setup

Can anyone help with information about the basic setup of the TH400 gearbox.
We are in the UK and have been supplied with a new UK built sailplane winch with a new chevy 8.2 litre engine driving through a "new" TH400 gearbox.

We believe we are having problems with the gearbox changing down at too high a speed when reducing speed and consequently shifting down too hard but the supplier insists there is nothing wrong with the gearbox because he has supplied about 50 similar systems, although he admits he does not know how the gearbox works.

There is no tachometer and no milometer installed, there is no identification plate on the gearbox.
I understand these gearboxes were last made in about 1990.
It has an adjustable vacuum modulator adjusted fully out, we dare not yet touch the governor, it is still under warranty
My questions are:-

1 Is it possible that this gearbox has been kept in store in the USA since manufacture, or is it more likely to be a reconditioned unit?

2 When the gearboxes were originally built were they modified inside to suit a particular car/truck or were they all identical apart from the makers improvements?

3 If there were modifications to suit the car, would they have significantly affected the gear change speeds and softness?

Thanks in advance for your help.

colin milner

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 08:11 AM

th400 basic setup

Colin,the unit is more than likely remanufactured,as opposed to being new,then stored.

Transmissions are calibrated for specific vehicles,of course,but was this unit calibrated for your particular needs,I don't know. Since the supplier has 50 unit sales under his belt,he should be able to answer this question.

There are many modifications that can be done to this unit,as with most.

Again knowing what may have been done would be helpful.

I would think this company should have tech support for their units.

Knowing what the vacuum is doing during your concerns,may help as well,as in could there be a leak.

I really don't know what a sailplane winch is,or how it is used,relative to the trans. If you like, a further explanation on it's function may help with diagnosis.

Look forward to your future post.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

Briscoe,
Many thanks for your answers. The winch is just a drum with about 1000 yards of steel cable on it driven by the engine and automatic gearbox so that the cable pulls in fast enough to launch the sailplane.

So we accellerate the sailplane in about 5 seconds to 60 mph and then as the sailplane gets higher the drum is slowed down to keep the sailplane speed constant.
The winch is stationary and the driver just has a throttle and a lever for selecting neutral or drive, all other gear options are inaccessible.
We do not know of any modifications carried out in the gearbox , and I have a feeling that none have been done.

The gearbox starts in 1st and gets into 3rd before the sailplane is off the ground, all this is ok, but as we reduce throttle to stop the glider speeding up in the top half of the launch, the gearbox changes down into 2nd and jerks the cable and sometimes breaks the cable.
What we would like to know is have we got a gearbox which has been designed to change down gear at too high a speed, we would like it to stay in 3rd once it is there and not risk changing down and breaking the cable, we think it is doing about 2000 rpm under half throttle when it changes down , is this what you would expect.
Once again, many thanks for your interest.
colin milner
Old 01-02-2007, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

So as the plane gets higher of the ground, you throttle back the engine and the trans downshifts from 3rd to 2nd???

It sounds as though the transmission thinks that you arebringing the engine back down to idle and therefore it brings the trans down into 2nd and eventually into 1st gear.

The400 trans was last used by GM in the trucks in 1990, it was replaced by the 4 speed 4l80e trans.

If there was a handle that controlled the upshifts and downshifts, you could install a manual shift kit into the trans and it wouldnt downshift into 2nd on you.

To me, the problem sounds like a simple adjustment in the trans control.

Question, You throttle down to keep the plane speed constant, then the trans downshifts. So being in 2nd gear, this would allow slack to form between the winch and the plane correct? Do you break the cable increasing the throttle to take up the slack?
is there any way to launch teh plane by not throttleing back the engine and by just releasing teh cable from teh plane while under throttle?

here are the gear ratios 1st gear 2.48:1, 2nd 1.48:1 3rd 1:1 or direct drive.

I bet that since its powered by a 502, that you have spend a decent amount of money on this power winch. I would be all over the person who sold you the winch, esp. since it is STILL under warranty. I am sure his other 50 installed winches dont break the cables.

It sounds to me that you need to adjust that vacuum governor. While you are under throttle accelerating the plane, the trans goes through the gears normally, then as you back off the throttle(thus creating more engine vacuum) the trans downshifts because it thinks the engine is returning to idle.

I would get that vacuum modulator adjusted, being adjusted completly out doesnt sound correct to me.
I always thought a thm 400 had an electric kickdown for downshifts.

goodluck
peace
Hog
Old 01-02-2007, 12:06 PM

th400 basic setup

Colin,2000 rpm on coast should not cause this trans to downshift.

I wonder, is the governor causing this,and I'll get back to the gov in a minute.

If there is no tech support with this trans,and this is on your shoulders,can you do a line pressure test?

This would tell us the condition of the pump,detent circut, and help to narrow down the possibilities.

But simple stuff first. Do you have a vacuum gauge? If so what is the vac doing when this trans downshifts?

Is there electricity to the trans for passing gear,I doubt it,you wouldn't need it for this application,but you never know. But if so,the detent connector[passing gear] is on, what would be the drivers side of the trans.

Like I said,doubt it's there but if it is,disconnect it and see if it makes a difference.

Now back to the governor. On the passenger side,there is a four bolt cover,towards the rear of trans. This is where the gov is housed.

I would remove that cover,pull the gov out and measure the shinny lands.

The lands should be smooth and measure .800 Not much wiggle room here.

A governor that measures .799 would be acceptable,but no less.

Please keep me informed. Dana
Old 01-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Send us video!!

that thing sounds awesome!!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

CHEVY 502 & TH400 IN SAILPLANE WINCH

Johnsongrass1,
I will post a photograph when I get a good one.
cm
Old 01-02-2007, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

CHEVY502 &TH400 IN SAILPLANE WINCH

Hogg,
Yes as we back off the throttle the cable whips when it changes down from 3rd to second. We do not have chance to take up slack, the power is there all the time because the guy in the sailplane is still climbing, but because of the cable angle the drum has to slow down to maintain the same speed for the sailplane.The sailplane still has half of the climb to complete at this stage,so we have to keep some power on.
I am sure the electric kick down is disconnected if there is one.
colin milner
Old 01-02-2007, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

CHEVY 502 & TH400 IN SAILPLANE WINCH

Briscoe,
Yes I have ordered a vacuum gauge and will get some figures asap.
No electrics to the box. Connection, drivers side half way along with no wire on.
Will check the governor, thanks for the figures on the diameter.
colin milner
Old 01-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

why not just run a full manual shift tranny? Shift the gears as you wish?

Old 01-02-2007, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Not quite a 502 but the same result. BTW....glider flying is a blast!!!! Done it 3 times. Awesome.

click here.........
Old 01-02-2007, 08:00 PM

th400 basic setup

Crosley,I was wondering the same thing.But I went back and checked, Colin states in post #3 that the driver has a lever for selecting neutral or drive,all other gear options are inaccessible.

Perhaps not the unit itself,but maybe the lever will not physically travel past drive???

This may explain why the manufacture declined a manual shift unit.

Of course this is not to say this couldn't be modified.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by briscoe
Crosley,I was wondering the same thing.But I went back and checked, Colin states in post #3 that the driver has a lever for selecting neutral or drive,all other gear options are inaccessible.

Perhaps not the unit itself,but maybe the lever will not physically travel past drive???

This may explain why the manufacture declined a manual shift unit.

Of course this is not to say this couldn't be modified.

Any thing can be modified , it's just steel and aluminum.

If vacuum drops low enough at the modulator the t-400 will down shift out of 3rd gear.

An adjustable mod may help , I dont know.

Never dealt with this setup. I've Fooled with boats , air & water (prop) driven .

Old 01-02-2007, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

That launch really got my attention. I googled v8 sailplane winch and found this:

Winch Launches
If you can, try to get a flight at a gliding club which uses winch-launching. Yes, gliders are actually winched into the sky on the end of a long cable. The winch is powered by a powerful motor, often a V8, and it pulls the glider up like a giant kite. Sometimes the cable breaks, but this is quite routine and simply results in a short flight and a bit of inconvenience for the ground crew! Come to think of it, this situation could be considered a thrill ride for an unsuspecting passenger! Firstly, the jolt when the wire snaps. Secondly, the fairly sudden nose-down movement of the glider as the pilot makes sure the airspeed stays up. Sudden but smooth.

Now, why are even normal winch launches thrilling? Because you go up like a fighter jet, that's why. The nose of the glider points skywards at an angle of 45 degrees or so, and you reach release altitude in less than 30 seconds. Even an experienced glider pilot tends to enjoy it time after time! I certainly did.

An even more thrilling form of launch is rarely done now-a-days. It was called a reflex launch. The tow rope, yes a rope not a wire or cable, had a bit of stretch in it. It was attached to the glider's release point at one end, and the other end was attached to a powerful car. A loop was laid out to set a certain amount of slack in the rope, before the car went charging off down the airstrip. TWANG. I remember seeing a Blanik L13 with 2 people on board lunge off the ground in maybe 3 meters (10 feet) and commence climbing like a home-sick angel. Ah those were the days.

Oh yeah!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:24 PM

Last photo:

About 20 years ago I spent a weekend gliding with both air and ground tows at Euroa Vic (1,1/2 hrs north of Melbourne). The ground tow sat on a 3 ton truck and comprised a 455 Olds,t400 and M/benz 1418 diff with a drum on each wheel and independent brakes. I remember clearly being told that the trans only used 2nd gear and even in the plane a kilometre away you could hear the 455 load up against the converter - perhaps this could work for Colin with a full manual valve body.
BTW, to Colin and myself a th400 has the kickdown wiring on the PASSENGER side, so I respectfully ask that people consider rhd applications and use a simple left or right description (as viewed from the drivers seat), thanks. Ian.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.