th400 slow 2-3 shift - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2003, 11:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

th400 slow 2-3 shift

I researched the archives and I learned a tremendous amount about GM transmissions (this is a GREAT forum!) but I still need some specific help on my shift problem.

I have been running a th400 on the street/strip for 3 years. It has seen very limited miles. It was overhauled (TCI)and shift-kitted before I installed it in the car. It has an auxillary cooler, deep pan, electric kickdown not attached and I use Mobil 1 transmission fluid which has been changed once and is very clean. I run a trans temperature guage and the trans has never been hot.

The trans performed flawlessly for three years then at the last 2 races this season, I began noticing a "lazy" 2-3 shift. The 1-2 shift is still solid and my ET's were not affected but I am sure it will not cure itself and will get worse unless I do something. Am I faced with another overhaul or is there something that I can try without overhaulling it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2003, 05:59 PM

th400-Any help out there?

No response to my 2-3 shift question so far. Do any transmission folks want to venture an opinion?
Old 11-08-2003, 11:45 PM

I will stick my neck out here. Not sure I will be any help but you could try dropping the VB and making sure your center support bolt, (the 3/8 12 point bolt under the VB) is tight. Then round up a couple of rubber backed steel cup plugs from a 200 trans, (the one that goes against the center support in a 200 to seal it) and drive them in the two feed passages, one on either side of that bolt. Those are the feeds for the hi clutch. Other than that, I haven't got any answers. If it was working good and now it isn't, the support may have shifted in the case to the point that flow is restricted. There is case savers to remedy this problem, but the unit needs to come out and apart.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

A developing weak 2-3 shift can be many things. As mentioned the center support is the area of concern.

Loose fit in the case, sealing rings wear grooves into the drum area.

Mis-matching the center support is a probelm too. GM changed the width of the center support area that meets the case. They installed a .045 thick wear ring in there to help a problem of wear into the aluminum .

If this is wear ring is left OUT the support will move around and even break the support bolt that was mentioned above.

You do not mention if the direct clutch is dual feed or if a shift kit is installed

Tony
Old 11-13-2003, 03:19 PM

Thanks KRP and Crosley. Looks like I will take a peek under the VB and hope I find something obvious. Otherwise, I guess we'll tear it down.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.