TH400, What caused this? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Envirominded hotrodder

Last journal entry: Stupid broken leg
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TH400, What caused this?

I was rebuilding my TH400 out of a parts Jeep I saved, converting it to 2WD to use in my Ambassador but I noticed that it appeared to have been rebuild not too long ago. A lot of the peices still had paint marks on them like they'd have sitting on the shelf at a trans shop. The direct drive clutches almost looked new. BUT, when I took apart the forward clutch assembly, it was toasted! The clutches were worn down to the metal and warped like a somvabich!

Also, one of the ball valves left a mark in the case that looks like it was shot out of a ten pump bb gun with 18 pumps!

Here's which ball it is:

Any idea what caused this? I'm guessing that the PO revved high and dumped it in gear, but I want to make sure it's not an assembly issue so I don't repeat it!

Just for info, I never drove this transmission. I got it out of a parts Jeep. Thanks in advance for any ideas you guys might have!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2007, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

Forward clutch lip seal cut on assembly, too loose clutch tolerances letting the piston overtravel, leak in the forward clutch circuit (rings on the rear of pump), etc.

Find the problem before you re-assemble it. Check the apply piston closely also.

There should be 5 clutches total, make sure there is not too much clearance. It can be fairly tight on the forward clutch clearances. .030-.050" is good to aim for, you can use a .090" thick direct steel to tighten it up.

Wear at the checkball locations is normal and you can omit that checkball on rebuild anyway.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Envirominded hotrodder

Last photo:

Thanks jakeshoe! This is my 4th TH400 rebuild and I've never seen one like this! I assembled the forward clutch assembly (with new steels) to check for clearance and it's nice and tight, .035 was the biggest feeler I could get in there. I have a spare TH400 I rebuilt not too long ago out of my last Cherokee, I could use it's forward clutch if I have too.

Another question, what's the function of that ball? It's the only one that's left a mark in the case, but you don't think it's related to the fried clutches? Thanks again!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

That checkball is considered non-functional. It is in the direct clutch circuit. If you follow that path that worm passage goes directly to the direct feed in the center support.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Envirominded hotrodder

Last photo:

Great! Thanks!

Matt

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.