Hot Rod Forum banner

TH400 Wont Shift Out of Park

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
Coming out of work today in the chevelle was an interesting experience.
I started er up and everything was fine.
Put it into reverse and back out, then drive. I idle arround the building, ok everything is normal.
Its extremely hot in the car so i decide to roll the passenger side window down to get some cross ventilation.
I decieded it would be a bit safer it i pulled over to do it instead of trying to lean over in the middle of traffic.
So i pull into a parking space and put it into park, roll the pass. window down but when i go to take it out of park, nothing happens.
This car has a B&M ratchet shifter which at this point feels very loose.
I get under the car and have a buddy hold down the brake pedal, i put it into reverse directly from that transmission and it starts rolling bakcwards, so whew i dont think the tranny is shot.

But i still have no idea what the heck is wrong, any ideas?
Edit/Delete Message

#2 ·
Sounds like shifter problems , not tranny problems

69ChevelleAddict said:
Coming out of work today in the chevelle was an interesting experience.
I started er up and everything was fine.
Put it into reverse and back out, then drive. I idle arround the building, ok everything is normal.
Its extremely hot in the car so i decide to roll the passenger side window down to get some cross ventilation.
I decieded it would be a bit safer it i pulled over to do it instead of trying to lean over in the middle of traffic.
So i pull into a parking space and put it into park, roll the pass. window down but when i go to take it out of park, nothing happens.
This car has a B&M ratchet shifter which at this point feels very loose.
I get under the car and have a buddy hold down the brake pedal, i put it into reverse directly from that transmission and it starts rolling bakcwards, so whew i dont think the tranny is shot.

But i still have no idea what the heck is wrong, any ideas?
Edit/Delete Message

#3 ·
i took apart the shifter today and looked at where the cable hooks up.
Everything is all hooked up and secure.
I shifted it into park and looked at where the cable meets the trans.
Moved the shifter to the furthest setting and it didnt move the other end at all.

Im hoping it is just a simple cable break and it wont be that hard to replace.

So i went to both NAPA and Advanced auto parts and neither of them could even order the right cable.

Does it sound right?

#4 · (Edited)
check the shift arm at the tranny with the cable unhooked... should be detents that the shift arm of the tranny cliks into firmly as moved from park to low gear.

If it feels sloppy / goofy / loose , I'd pull the pan to check the nut on the shift arm inside.

If the cable does not move at the tranny end , then the cable is band / broke or the shifter is the trouble.

Unless your NAPA and advanced auto store sells B&M products I doubt they will have a cable to fit the shifter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.