TH4l80e MT1 weird shift - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TH4l80e MT1 weird shift

I have a 96 c3500 SRW with a l-29-7.4L with the th4L80e ( series MT1) thats doing a goofy thing , when its cold out ( below 30 degrees which is warm for Canadians ) if i start and let it warm up alittle ( 2min or so ) or start of cold , it will go but the first stop I come to it will act like I am spinning the wheels then go into 1st gear ( like its slipping internally ) and it bangs into gear , it has 115K miles , fluid changed out at 60K miles with convertor flush ) level good when cold or hot . it only does this on days when its below freezing , and if I let it sit and warm up to 80 degrees on water temp it stops otherwise when warmer than freezing it shifts normal ( checked for water in fluid too ) . whats going on ??selinoid problem or ecm problem , No codes thrown when scanned at dealer .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 12:52 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I had a problem with the exact same symptoms except it was a 96 dodge dynasty. I changed the fluid and filter and added a can of lucas trans tune. The problem went away immediately.
I was amazed because it was the first time a tranny additive had ever worked for me. That was my first and last attempt for an easy fix before either a new trans. or junk yard jewel to replace it. Drove the car another 50K before I sold it at 158K mi. still running good!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Internal seals getting hard
Old 02-24-2010, 08:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Note that the 4L80E has a pulse width modulated valve that controls internal hydraulic pressure. It also has input and output shaft speed sensors. If the computer senses slippage between the input and output shafts, it increases the line pressure up to the max allowable. This is why after the slippage, you feel a very hard shift.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 AM

Last photo:

So Joe ,basically I have a low line pressure, Like Pump going south??? or could it be the valve acting up ?? I want to try to make this thing last a while as I don't have $2500 handy to get a complete R&R'd unit and convertor ( built to towing specs )
Old 02-25-2010, 05:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The PWM ( pulse width modulated) system in the 4L80E is used only on converter clutch apply. It is not part of the main line pressure control. Two different items.

The bang into gear is simply the fluid and seals making contact when the trans is cold, the internals of the trans are spinning and it bangs into gear. That most likely is all that is happening.

Internal seals are getting hard and the cold temps you mention here are the cause..

To add one other thought here in the cold temps; check the fluid level and when was the last fluid service on the trans? Trans Filter changed?

Last edited by Crosley; 02-25-2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: other thoughts
Old 02-25-2010, 06:36 AM

Last photo:

1st Post says (Fluid changed, converter flushed @60K) 115K now so it's due for another service. They may not have changed the Filter the 1st service & only flushed the Trans.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
1st Post says (Fluid changed, converter flushed @60K) 115K now so it's due for another service. They may not have changed the Filter the 1st service & only flushed the Trans.

that is why I asked... 60k miles is too long for fluid service.

depend on vehicle and fluid type, 30k to 40k miles is my preference
Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

filter was changed out when service was done , its dextron III , I should get a whole sevice and band adjustment done , trans service was done 5 years ago . fluid still red and not burn't , I'm going to lengthen warm up times for now .
Old 02-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
filter was changed out when service was done , its dextron III , I should get a whole sevice and band adjustment done , trans service was done 5 years ago . fluid still red and not burn't , I'm going to lengthen warm up times for now .

no band adjustments in the 4l80e trans as a maintenance item , clearance is set when the trans is built
Old 02-26-2010, 06:38 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I'd try a can of Lucas Trans Fix, it can't hurt. I've had numerous transmission problems that chemicals have cured, or made better, at least for a while,

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.