TH700R-4 conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2003, 07:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post TH700R-4 conversion

anyone know how to convert a TH700R-4 tranny from electronic to non-electronic?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2003, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

The only thing electric in a 700R4 (or 4L60 same thing) is the torque converter lock up. Now if you have more than four pins in the electrical connector and no tv cable it's a 4L60E which is a 700R4 that is shifted electronically.
Now to get rid of the lock up electronics in the 700 you need to get a lock up valve kit that locks the converter without the solinoid, it comes with different springs to change the speed that it locks up at. I believe it's sold by Sonnax, but I have no link at this time.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

If you are talking about the converter lock up that is easy to change to a one wire setup..

My page has info:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/crosley_az/lockup1.htm" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/crosley_az/lockup1.htm</a>

The pictures are of a 1988 or newer 700 unit. If you have a 700 that is pre 1987, the same lockup wire setup is used with a pressure switch in the same port on the early valve body.

The Sonnax pressure lockup kit can only be fitted to valve bodies that have the bore for the lock up valving. The bore was eliminated in 1989 or 1990 in my memory is working.

Sonnax site is: <a href="http://www.sonnax.com" target="_blank">www.sonnax.com</a>

The 4L60E has no electrical connector on the drivers side of the tranny. The connector is on the passenger side. It's round , about 1.5 inches in diameter.

On this page :

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/crosley_az/700id.htm" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/crosley_az/700id.htm</a>

At the bottom is a picture of a late model three piece case 4L60E that shows the connector.

If you are asking to convert a 4L60E to non electronic controls that is possible too. There is a kit from TransGo for full manual operation with vacuum controlled main line pressure. This makes the 4L60E manual shift only!

Hope this helps.

Tony

Old 01-06-2003, 05:54 PM

For Crosley: Is there a conversion for a 4l80E to non-electronic? Where's TransGo, do you have a number? Thanks

[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: Seon ]</p>
Old 01-06-2003, 07:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Cool

Yes, there is a kit for 4L80E to convert it to full manual shifts 'only' and non electronic control. There are no automatic shifts.

Unless it has changed.....TransGo does not sell direct to the public, only through dealers. If you want a kit do a google.com search for TransGo.

Any of the suppliers should be able to answer your questions. Perhaps you can find a supplier close to you.

Many guys like the <a href="http://www.bulkpart.com" target="_blank">www.bulkpart.com</a> site for parts.

Tony

[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: Crosley ]</p>
Old 01-08-2003, 04:32 PM

Crosley, thanks for the bulkpart.com link. Being that I'm not smart enough, what parts should I look or ask for to convert the 4L80E trans to a non-electronic? Really appreciate you assist on this.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by Seon:
<strong> what parts should I look or ask for to convert the 4L80E trans to a non-electronic? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Usually Mark answers the phone, i'm sure he can help you with finding everything you need.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:14 AM

Quote:
If you are asking to convert a 4L60E to non electronic controls that is possible too. There is a kit from TransGo for full manual operation with vacuum controlled main line pressure. This makes the 4L60E manual shift only!
What you are describing is exactly what I am looking for (I think). I have a 350 TBI / 4L60E removed from a 94 GMC pickup that I put in my 68 Nova. After trying to make the harness and ECU work, I decided to install an Edelbrock 2104 intake with a 650. That sticks me with the "e" tranny problem. I have been searching all over the net and came up with all these $700-up tranny controllers, before landing on this thread. Finding this cool site was an added bonus.

I emailed a couple places about this kit- one didn't email me back, and the other said "we don't sell a kit for your needs." If I read your post right, the mentioned kit will 1) give me manual-only shifting, which I want, and 2) removes the need for the ECU. Am I correct? I have found virtually no detailed info on this particular kit at the TransGo site or at any of the vendor sites.

Is this what I am looking for? Do you have a part number I can use to talk to a supplier with? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:31 PM

Anyone?
Old 10-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Cool

the kit is a 4L60E-3 kit.... full manual control of shifts, vacuum controlled line pressure...

no automatic shifts of any type for any reason with this kit.

I did a google search and came up many places for transgo kits.

I do not understand your difficulty finding this info
Old 10-17-2003, 07:27 PM

Now that I have a part number, I also have no problem finding suppliers who sell it. BUT, their description is vague at best, and I haven't found any DETAILED info that has more than 2 or 3 sentances in the description.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

700 question

depending on someone's degree of ability you can replace solid valve in 89 and up valve body
with early valve and bushing replace spring to change lock up mph you need to drill plate to let oil stroke to old style valve

you also must install check ball in lock up solenoid to over ride the function this will allow lock up without any out side power and have lock up at your desired speed with little or no cost depending on your parts you can get from local tranny shop

replace stock spring with a stronger spring to start that will set lock up later

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.