Hot Rod Forum banner

Thanks for help/Still have Problems

886 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Sweet-34 
#1 ·
Got time today to check out timing on 34'. Set idle at 600/plugged vac. line. Set initial at 12. Brought rpms up but the mechanical didn't move. Sometimes it would move but only up to about 28. It is real erratic.

Took weights and springs off and examined. No binding or problems I could see. This is a brand new (one year ago) HEI with a Crossfire Cap. Never did run right. Buddy set it at 17/32 when he put it in a year ago and said it would be fine. Been having starting problems from time to time since he put it in.

Since then....I put on a new starter/battery/1-0 cable/ground to the engine and heat shield on the starter. Sometimes it worked fine other times it would start hard!! I finally got fed up with the situation and asked for your help a week or so ago.

So after today I have determined it must be in the distributor. A buddy is bringing over a brand new HEI with Crossfire tomorrow and we are going to put it in and see what happens.

Any suggestions on the distributor?????

Sweet-34

See less See more
#2 ·
If you didn't insist that it is a brand new unit, I would contend you have severely worn distributor shaft bushings. I have had these kind of erratic timing problems and it has always come down to worn bushings allowing the timing to bounce around. Will be interesting to see how the borrowed unit performs. If it too acts erratic, probably isn't distributor. Is the breaker plate firm? Is there any looseness in the shaft?

#3 ·
Sticky HEI

Finally found it!!!! Put buddies new Pro-Form Billet in and everything works fine. My Pro-Form which they insist is new binds up when it is put in the engine and tightened down. Take it out and the cam and weight plate works freely. Seems to be alot of side slop in the weight plate. I called factory and they said return it and they would fix it for "Free".

Thanks guys for all your help!!!

Sweet-34

#4 ·
Bad Distributor in 34'

Talked to factory today. The distributor had a bad reluctor/star gear as the tech called it. Put in a new one and checked OK. The unit is on the way back to me. Should have it next week!!! Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

See ya on the street!!!

Sweet-34

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.