Thanks? Or no thanks... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Is the thanks button a useful addition to the forum?
Yes- Thanks helps new posters find better info 5 23.81%
No- Thanks is not needed 8 38.10%
Maybe- Thanks is OK, just not on non-technical forums 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 04:26 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Chris my only problem with the whole "He doesn't know anything yet he is answering a question" idea is simple, is the info given correct or not?

Someone could learn some valuable info, he knows nothing about the subject but learned this very valuable information yesterday that helped him solve a problem, I would think him passing this information on is the same as if someone with 20 years experience passes it on,the value of the info doesn't change!

Brian
Brian: I wasn't quite clear LOL Passing good info! That would be great! I was talking about a thread starter getting answers that are very good for his application but passing along bad info in later posts because they are not knowledgeable to understand everything automotive is not an absolute! They try to rewrite physics!!! Like the old generic cfm formula and applying it to forced induction or ram induction or high stack and short stack Hillborn on a drag engine, Then that formula goes out with the trash! When we give info we aren't teaching a class, we are dealing and answering specifics with general info! depending on the knowledge of the ask'er! I don't think people can learn from reading posts only! They need hands on application of what we say! The best people on here have years of hands on application and text books and schooling! Reading hot rod articles or a blog and applying it to a thread and getting it wrong doesn't cut it to me LOL!

I think you and many on here have run into posters that try to rewrite physics and automotive engineering its like talking to a rock!! They don't want to learn and wont back off because they are taking what we say as embarrassing them no matter how diplomatic and nice you try to be then the thread gets on the wrong track. You can say "if a hornets on your face it will probably sting you" and they will say "no it wont it actually likes you" rewriting the laws of nature!

A spot at the end of a post saying this "This post helped me a lot!" could be put right bellow the "thank you" that only the thread starter can check good or bad!

Most threads on here never Finnish! I have so many subscriptions I don't want to delete that the poster never comes back and whoever does a search and reads the info doesn't know what the outcome is and we get the same questions over and over and over I just ignore them any more Im tired of posting the same thing! This was hotrodding now its almost like "ask the mechanic" on a lot of threads!LOL

I think 1 more category should be available on here, "Stock trouble shooting" I would ignore most of it (people can go to the library and check out a MOTORS or CHILTON'S etc) or go to ask the mechanic or stop in at your local repair shop

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet View Post
my pea brain can just handle so much "detail" so I wasn't even aware of this feature - - - guess I need to pay closer attention, huh? However, I checked and found that I had 18 thunk'yas out of 14 posts - - that's probably not anything to brag about, eh?
Hey I got 3...
Means more to me to give a thanks to someone, then to get one..
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
Bad Rat (11-27-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 04:35 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
The thank you button was my idea, well sort of. I saw it on another forum and thought it would be a good idea. I still do.....Whether the thanks given is in a tech section or off topic, I dont think it matters..We have all seen a post where people complain that their advise wasnt taken or appreciated.....This makes it easier..Its just another way of interacting with each other.
Poncho: I still type my thank yous most of the time and many people don't hit the button and type thank you to me many on here get thanked and its never counted!

Jester
Old 11-23-2012, 05:20 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

It's a non-issue to me. I don't look at them and I don't expect them.

I always try to post a followup and say thanks.

454 RATTLER
Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post

I just ignore them any more Im tired of posting the same thing! This was hotrodding now its almost like "ask the mechanic" on a lot of threads!LOL
Chris
That is exactly what led me to write my first "Basics of Basics". And it worked great, just repost the same one with the same question comes up.

Just like any get together (a party if you will) there are all kinds of knowledge, some poor ideas some brilliant, you can't tell your Aunt Lisa to stay at home because she has nothing to offer in a conversation.

I just don't think anyone's responses are worthless or something like that. I understand there are many levels of skills and I honestly don't care if people toss out incorrect info, just post the correct info an let it be.

Brian
Old 11-23-2012, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Poncho: I still type my thank yous most of the time and many people don't hit the button and type thank you to me many on here get thanked and its never counted!

Jester
It's like the "Like" button on Facebook, I kinda like it if that is all you want to say, hit "Like". But I can sure see your point as well.

Brian
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Jester
It's like the "Like" button on Facebook, I kinda like it if that is all you want to say, hit "Like". But I can sure see your point as well.

Brian
Old 11-23-2012, 09:18 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

What is this face book you speak of? lol But, definitely a "No thanks" for FB.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

I have to tell you I love Facebook. If for nothing else it has helped me get in touch with friends from school, old girl friends that I was able to thank for all they did in my life. I was able to get in touch with a very dear friend who had drifted away for what ever reason. That was a year ago, we went out to lunch and had many great phone conversations and a few weeks ago he passed away. I am so grateful for facebook as stupid as that sounds. I also "talk" with my sister much more than ever before because of Facebook, honestly, it has been wonderful in my life.

Brian
Old 11-23-2012, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

I want to say THANKS to all of you! This forum is the best, plain and simple. It has the best group of members with the widest range of experience and skills that I could ever imagine getting together. From Randy and Dewey's amazing home builts (I miss seeing Dewey every day) to Dans help with my convertible top to all the wide variety of cars and trucks, it has been so cool hanging out here for all these years. It had evolved just like any "club" or any job where employees change over the years. It can't always stay the same. But honestly folks, you guys are the best and I want to click on all your "thanks" buttons.

Brian
Old 11-23-2012, 09:29 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Glad it's worked out so well for you, really. I suppose I'm out of touch w/things- I still sit down and write letters. Can you imagine??
Old 11-23-2012, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Glad it's worked out so well for you, really. I suppose I'm out of touch w/things- I still sit down and write letters. Can you imagine??
You mean with paper and a stamp? Wild! My little daughter is doing that, she is 11 and makes the most amazing cards to send to people.

I am teaching the newer generation to use those paper and stamp things.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1005.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	69315   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0898.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	963.6 KB
ID:	69316   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0903.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	69317   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0960.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	69318   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0961.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	69319  

Old 11-24-2012, 05:09 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Kudos to you and your daughter, Brian. Two years ago they found out that my youngest son's boy could not write in cursive nor could he read it. That was quite a shock since he was going into High School the next year. More than likely it will be a lost art and thing of the past in the near future.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:15 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Facebook is Ok, if you realize that everyone with a computer screen now has the opportunity to read everything that you put on there, friends or not......Too many people spill their whole lives out on that thing.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:34 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

My Wiffy opened a FB account to keep in touch with old friends and classmates and she goes there often. The only time I use her account is when I want to check the Cleveland Historical Society link where I grew up and, unfortunately, the only way to get there is via FB.

NOTHING PERSONAL, but, to me, it seems to cater more to the feminine gender.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.