Thanks? Or no thanks... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Is the thanks button a useful addition to the forum?
Yes- Thanks helps new posters find better info 5 23.81%
No- Thanks is not needed 8 38.10%
Maybe- Thanks is OK, just not on non-technical forums 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks? Or no thanks...

I'm not all that wild about the "Thank-you" count that everyone carries, at least the way it is now.

I'm guessing the original idea was to distinguish "good" posters from the "other" posters when a new person came here looking for technical info.

But what I'm seeing is the thanks button getting used a LOT on Off Topic/Lounge (I'm also guilty of this) and even on the Introduce Yourself forum! Hell, some peoples count would drop by 75% if their non technical forum 'thanks' were removed. And those who post more than others will tend to get more 'thanks' by default.

So is the 'thanks' count really a help to new people, or not?

Respectfully yours, Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (11-23-2012), malc (11-23-2012), silentpoet (11-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 12:44 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I've noticed this and am guilty of it too. I think the main user base might see it as a reflection of popularity over technical worthiness at this point, but it makes sense that it may confuse new visitors. It's handy for acknowledging a post without having to clutter up the replies, though.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I guess i'm guilty of it too..I understand what your saying...Thought I was doing something good... Guess not..
Old 11-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

This is an excellent topic, I've thanked people for making me laugh, (the cat and a saddle post is still funny to me), I do try and keep a thanks for the technical information that I didn't know or feel would be of benefit to someone that reading a post looking for information didn't know.

I think overall, it is useful for people to feel more comfortable about accepting the information that is being put out. If people are curious they can check the person's previous posts correct?

If the program was set up to show people looking for technical information that the person posting has had numerous "useful posts" than that's what it should be used for. If it's not technical, I don't think thanks are needed.

Love to hear what other people think.

Ray
Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

i think it's too tribal and too "going along with the crowd/popularity thing."

But i would say leave it for now, since it's not really harming anything.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
I think it has it's uses in every respect. Sure in the technical sense, it can let someone know who is more "trustworthy" and there is some truth that though of course like all "stats" or "odds" there is always a guy with one "thanks" that has way more knowledge and is way more trustworthy than the guy with 300 "thanks". But that doesn't mean the guy with the 300 "Thanks" isn't trustworthy too.

I have to say, when I went to a computer site to deal with my dead hard drive I used this function and it worked like a charm. The guy who I chose to listen to was the guy with a ton of "thanks" was dead on, and after reading his stuff, he made sense and the "thanks" he had gotten made sense.

There is no system that is perfect and I just didn't get this "Thanks" when I saw it being used here but over all I think it's damn good.

Brian
Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Malc, I swear to God... lololol
Old 11-23-2012, 01:21 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

what the heck Y'all talking about???
if I ever used it then it was a mis-click
Old 11-23-2012, 01:36 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: Take a kid to a car show
Last photo:

No Its not! Its childish! I say thanks just to be polite when someone tells me thanks (thanks for the thanks!!) or if someone posts a good joke!! (there's no your welcome button!) The only way to Know if a person Knows what he's talking about is if you already know and are knowledgeable on the subject!! Novices will have no Idea!!I see people saying thanks for some of the worst recommendation!

If I see some one give good info, I post that its really good info to back him up, If I see bad info I think it should strongly be rejected by the members!!

I saw a post answering a guy about setting up a Holley! Answered by a guy who started a thread just a month or so before saying he was rebuilding his first Holley and asking advice himself! It shocked me how he became an expert on jetting and custom tuning so fast! And he got a thank you!!!

I was on a thread and one of the posters that answered was being told how wrong he was by a few of our very knowledgeable members !! And a monitor said it wasn't for the members to decide if it was wrong info or not it was for the thread starter to decide what info he wanted to listen to So now I try to back off and be more democratic But its hard sometimes I still sometimes call an idiot an idiot!!!!

I read peoples profiles usually nothings there, and I read all their posts and threads and can tell if someone is good or not! If a guy asks silly simple novice questions about things and a few months latter is recommending things he knew nothing about a month before I think he's a pretender! or a troll!

When this "thank you thing" started we were all having fun with it thanking each other over and over on one thread it was funny at the time!! I said thanks many times for nothing!

Just my thoughts! Thank you: Chris
Old 11-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Chris my only problem with the whole "He doesn't know anything yet he is answering a question" idea is simple, is the info given correct or not?

Someone could learn some valuable info, he knows nothing about the subject but learned this very valuable information yesterday that helped him solve a problem, I would think him passing this information on is the same as if someone with 20 years experience passes it on,the value of the info doesn't change!

If it is wrong info, well then other posters will simply post the correct info with an intelligent explanation and that should clear up the bad info. I can guarantee if someone posts incorrect info and other members correct him with an explanation as to why and without some degrading put down the mod isn't going to shake his finger at him.

We can't expect all info to be correct, I don't care how long you have been doing something, you have stuff of value to provide and you have stuff that others have better ideas with more value, you both post that info and everyone is the wiser (everyone who cares about the subject).

I agree that the "Thanks" COULD be useless but on the same respect the person with 300 "Thanks" has GOT to be doing something right. It doesn't mean anyone is better than another just as the post count doesn't, but often people look at the post count as a "gauge" of trustworthiness.

To someone coming to the forum for the first time what else do they have to go on? A high post count isn't going to guarantee that the answer is correct but how else could you ever know without something to judge the person responding? After a little while on a forum you learn who has the good answers and who doesn't but at the first few visits how else do you know who you can at least probably trust?

Brian
Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Man.. If the thank you's are to show people who know's the most. Or to point them in the right direction,, That is really funny..
Old 11-23-2012, 02:54 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I think it away to thanks someone ,even it it's jus a link to help them find info they seek..
or if it helps them understand something..
it's also just polite..
Old 11-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The thank you button was my idea, well sort of. I saw it on another forum and thought it would be a good idea. I still do.....Whether the thanks given is in a tech section or off topic, I dont think it matters..We have all seen a post where people complain that their advise wasnt taken or appreciated.....This makes it easier..Its just another way of interacting with each other.

Budget RVs
The Following User Says Thank You to poncho62 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 03:04 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

That works for me poncho, even though I don't have many and have given less.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:19 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

my pea brain can just handle so much "detail" so I wasn't even aware of this feature - - - guess I need to pay closer attention, huh? However, I checked and found that I had 18 thunk'yas out of 14 posts - - that's probably not anything to brag about, eh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.