is their a cheap way to lower my truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 11:58 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

is their a cheap way to lower my truck

i was wondering if their is a cheap or free way to lower my 93 dodge Dakota 5 to 10 inch's. come people said that i can cut the springs and other's said i could do other stuff. i don't want to screw my truck up. so is their anything i can do. thanks for ur help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2005, 12:44 PM
expert lurker

Last journal entry: day one!
Last photo:

5 -10" is very low, i thionk 10 inches might put you in the ground, but i could be wrong. this can not be done cheap, you have to deal with suspension geometery, steering geometery, drive angles, etc. personally i would go with bags if i wanted to go this low.
good luck!
Old 06-12-2005, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

don't cut your springs if you want your truck to drive properly, and if you don't want your insurance company going after you in the event of a wreck.

cutting or heating your springs is most definitely not safe. each spring is specifically rated for a certain rate of force, but each spring is not equal to the other, i.e. if you cut all four springs at the same point, the spring rate will likely be different on each one causing handling of the vehicle to be very sporratic.

there is no real 'cheap' way to get that much lowering out of a vehicle. lowering springs may get you a few inches, but if you want 5-10 inches you really need to go with drop spindles or airbags of some sort.

unless you want to be bouncing all over the road, and potentially causing accidents and endagering other motorists, don't cut your spings...do it right the first time instead of making a mistake and having to pay for it.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

If the rear leaf springs sit on top of the axle, you can put them under it, that would be a starting point for the rear.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

There is no cheap way to lower a truck 5-10". To go that low you will have to "C" notch it, bag it, and dropped spindles and springs. Period.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
There is no cheap way to lower a truck 5-10". To go that low you will have to "C" notch it, bag it, and dropped spindles and springs. Period.

LOL. PERIOD indeed.

Brian
Old 06-13-2005, 03:20 AM
Rookie Builder....

Last journal entry: Getting Started...

Do what i do on cruise night....Get four or five of your fat a**ed buddies to sit in the box and sum fat bi+<hes in the cab...you'll lower so much the frame will be dragging on the ground...

but seriously to get the look you want you might want to consider a body drop...
Old 06-13-2005, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzarczyn
If the rear leaf springs sit on top of the axle, you can put them under it, that would be a starting point for the rear.
how do u do that and what do u mean
Old 06-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
Look at the rear axle of the truck. If the axle is sitting on top of the leaf springs you could put "lowering blocks" (available thru a zillion different places). If the axle is UNDER the springs you can move the axle to above the springs and it will lower it about five inches. You have to cut the spring pads off the top of the rear axle and weld on new ones on the bottom of it. DO NOT simply put longer bolts or some goofy thing like that. When you step on the brakes there are very serious forces wanting to spin the axle forward. If you do some hokie mounting you may find yourself with an axle spun around on the springs with brake hoses and cables ripped out for just a start.

If you go to one of the zillion places that sell truck accessories you will have all your questions answered.

Brian
Old 06-13-2005, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

ok and how much is air bags and can i put them on in my driveway? i'm new in customizing cars or do u think i should leave the truck alone here is a site that my truck is on. www.freewebs.com/jpsnightmare
Old 06-13-2005, 12:05 PM
You never know it all...

Last photo:

Hiyah.

13 years ago, I started my truck.. showed it for 7 years & had a blast. There is no such thing as a free drop. If someone tells you they'll do it for you 'free' tell them to stick it. Anyone who lowers a truck better know what they're doing if you want a clean ride. Don't cut springs. Back in the day, we all used to order everything from Mini-Truckin', Truckin' and Low Rider mags. Shipping is usually pretty cheap & you can return thing that may not work. Make friends with a good mechanic & read directions. My friends & I lowered my 94' Ranger and it came out great. Now everybody gets there stuff on line, good luck. pm me if I can help.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

u think i should add anything to my truck. or do anything to it
Old 06-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Some chrome rims, and change the front bumper out to a smoothie, either painted the same as the body color or chrome. It looks like it is painted silver.Also you would be surprised at what a 3/4 or 4/6 drop would do. It would involve springs and spindles and not bags. Check this site for a few possible answers. It deals with Dakotas. CHECK IT
Old 06-22-2009, 02:15 PM

if u have 4WD u could lower ur torsion bars. that'll drop the front down 2-3". then you could get some lowering U bolts to drop the rear. these are usually pretty cheap and lowering your torsion bars is free. 10" is REALLY low. if u go that low you'll be getting into some major frame work.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:04 PM

Dodge Dakota

There is no way to drop your dodge dakota 5-10 inches and still have it mobile the stance on my truck was alot higher than what yours in the picture was... i dropped my rear 6 inches and my front 4 inches with the help of a flip kit for the rear and newer coil springs and shocks for all 4 corners and im about 2 inches off the ground now with a very stiff suspension set up my truck has the more sleek look now. just saying too you. a Mild drop kit for your dodge should do just fine for you and the kit to do it is about 300 bucks and about 200 dollars for installation. so about 500-600 for the complete set up. i hope this helps. you can go to LMCtruck.com for more help. they have every part for a complete restoration or even some custom parts for the Crazies. =) good luck bud.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.