Is there any advantage in running a BG speed demon over an edelbrock performer carb? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 07:43 PM
CLICK ON MY AVATAR

Wiki Edits: 0

Is there any advantage in running a BG speed demon over an edelbrock performer carb?

Is there any advantage in running a BG speed demon over an edelbrock performer carb?I like my edelbrock but I see alot of people raving about the speed demon(once they get it adjusted corectly).Is there any hp gains to be had?My current carb is a manual choke performer 1405 600cfm.I was looking at the bg 575cfm.thanks bm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

Bat Im sure youll get answers leaning both ways. The BG carb is very simialier( for good reason) in design to Holley. Alot of guys, for whatever reason hate Holleys & seem to think Edelbrock carbs are superior. Apparently, its personal preferance... m fairley certain I personally would prefer the BG...however the next guy may say differant.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:10 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Speed Demon™ vs. and Edelbrock®?

Speed Demon™ vs. and Edelbrock®? From the performance stand point we’ll put our carburetors up against theirs any day of the week. You’re looking a few reasons for this. First, our carburetors are going to be less restrictive than theirs. So in the same size we’ll be capable of flowing more air, and producing more HP. This generally allows us to use a smaller carburetor than other manufactures which increases the air velocity, giving better torque, throttle response, HP, and overall performance. Secondly a modular design carburetor (Demon™, Holley®, etc) is going to be more tunable by design. This gives you the opportunity to fine tune, or tailor the carburetor specifically to your combination, conditions, and driving style. Since the Demon™ carburetors tuning parts interchange with Holley® components you’re able to get them through most local speed shops, or auto parts stores which makes it easier also.

Last edited by Tech @ BG; 01-21-2005 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Here's another perspective for you to consider based on my personal experience. Please note that I have not used a Barry Grant carb but am comparing an Edelbrock to a Holley. Since the Holley and BG carbs are similar the results should also be similar.

The Edelbrock has one feature that I really like. That is the ability to change the jets, metering rods and springs without draining the fuel. Removing the bowls on a Holley is a pain to me. Especially the rear bowl when installed. All that has to be done on the Edelbrock is remove the top plate to access those pieces. Be careful not to lose the small hairpin keepers though from the linkage.

I feel that it is actually easier to tune the Holley over the Edelbrock and to see the results. Choosing the right combination of jets, metering rods and springs can be very time consuming and frustrating.

While both carbs perform well for "average" (read that as cruising) street usage; the Holley will outperform the Edelbrock when going from idle to WOT or when cruising and going to WOT. It is a difference that you can actually feel. The Holley also was much more responsive when going to WOT while cruising at freeway speed and then passing another vehicle.

Fuel consumption was very close to the same under similar driving conditions.

Both the Edelbrock and Holley carbs that I used had electric chokes and vacuum secondaries. The Edelbrock was hard to start after the vehicle had sat for a week. It seemed like the bowls had gone dry. The Holley always started immediately.

My overall choice would be the Holley.

Assuming that the Barry Grant carb works as well or better than a Holley, I would opt to buy one of those. They are a better looking carb to boot.

All this being said, if you already have an Edelbrock that is working well, stay with it. If you are in the market (or just want to try something different) then go with the Barry Grant.

Most of all, ENJOY!!!
Old 01-18-2005, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

I threw two Edelbrock/carter carbs in the trash for three reasons.

1) vapor lock. The carbs are made of the wrong material. Sure aluminum cools better than zinc but it also heats up better too! In south Texas summers, the gas would boil in the Edelbrocks and not in the Holley's.

2) accelerator pump. The edelbrock pumps will stick after 6 months of use. The rubber seal on the piston eats a groove in the soft aluminum cylinder and cause the throttle too not open smoothly. The Holley's don't use seals that require surface rubbing.

3) I didn't what to use those carbs again and I couldn't knowingly sell junk to anyone else. So, into the trash they went!

Another option would be a Q-jet. FYI, Q-jets are ugly deliver get good mileage, work great, very durable, and sound cool when the super large secondaries open.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Born To Be Mild

Last photo:

It would be nice for all the money I spent on a Demon to have a linkage I could hook up. I had to go back to Summit to get the little pieces to connect the cables, and the fuel connections cost a bunch too.
Now I´ve got to mess around getting an airfilter to fit as the BG choke linkage goes out over the carb side.
I have a BG bell intake to modify for a 9" K/N filter.
(It´s a bugger not having a speed shop on the next corner)
Tasty looking carb though that´s why I´m putting a 9" filter on it so I can see it.
Just went out and took a pic of the air bell, seems that will need some adjustment for the choke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bg_air_bell.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	3687  
Old 01-18-2005, 10:43 AM
brains

Last photo:

Edlebrocks are nice if you dont know much about tuning and want bolt on and go. One thing Im surprised is that no one mentioned that they are not a true mechanical secondary carburetor.

The people who complain about Holley's are the ones who don't know how to adjust them. Because they are so adjustable they will mask problems by adjusting other fuel circuits instead of the one with the problem. Holleys are a great carb if you know how to work them correctly. The Holley has alot more potential to build power.

Ben
Old 01-18-2005, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

BG is a nice looking carb. Thats about it in my experience. We had (we refers to the autoshop at the school where I teach) a BG on a highly modified 350. It ran so rich we couldn't lean it out. The idle circut was impossible to lean out. It washed the cylenders out and the rings didn't seat. We spent countless hours on the phone with BG tech guys but it turned out to be a class on how not to treat your customers. The tech guys were lost without their step 1 to 10 manual. We went so far including recurving the distributer. The tech guy wanted us to run 20 degrees of initial timing. How rediculus this seemed to get the carb to run leaner. The Mighty Demon was just that a "mighty demon". Being in the Concord area of NC there were plenty of top street and racing engine builders to turn to. Nobody could get the carb to lean out. All advise was to put the BG on E bay and get a Holley Classic double pumper. What a change.Right out of the box(minor tuning) it ran circles around the BG. I guess a carb can look like a Holley and be able to use Holley parts but it does not run as well as a Holley.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Last photo:

RJL,

We apologize for the problems you have had with one of our carburetors, and service. Not knowing the specifics of the situation it would be impossible to intelligently comment on what did or did not take place. The Mighty Demon™ carburetors are extremely tunable, with replaceable air, and fuel bleeds on the idle circuit, so I’m not sure what exactly was causing your specific situation. If there is anything we can help you with in the future please let us know.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

RJL,

Wow, that sounds like a pretty bad experience with the BG carb and tech support! I have never used BG, I go straight for the holley.

Did you guys try messing with the idle air bleeds on that BG carb?

FYI, a big cam engine normally needs a lot of timing at idle. My "wild" 350 requires 20 degrees of inital timing, anything less and the headers will glow red. That much timing agrees with a lot of HP chevy hotrodding articles I have read.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

An engine with a radical cam (a lot of duration, and overlap) will generally require more initial ignition timing in order to run best. This allows the engine to burn the fuel more completely to get the best idle quality, and acceleration. Generally on most race engines we'll actually lock the timing in, so you have full advance at idle.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

Yes, BG suggested to change them but they didnt have any we would have to buy Holleys. We ended up taking them out and it helped some but not enough.Bg just wanted us to send the carb to them to see if there was a problem. If there was not they would return it in factory specs. This would not help the problem. The 363 has a 236/242@ 50 roller cam with 1.6 rockers. But do remember I live in a area of the country where many NASCAR engine builders live and work. And gave us a hand with this engine. They were the ones who said get a Holley.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

Wow! you have one of those also. For ease of discussion, I always say that I have a 350 but it is actually a 362 or 363. I used a 350 crank with small journal 327 rods. This allows the crank to be off-centered ground to get an extra 0.07" stroke from the 350 (3.48" to 3.55"). Not a lot but makes a typical 0.030 over 350 into a 363 cid unstead of a 355 cid. 8 more cubes, why not? is what I say. The same trick works for a 383 sbc to make a 391.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Cleverly disguised as grownup

Last journal entry: Hollman & Moody
Last photo:

I put 70,000 mi on a carter in a daily driver and never had a problem with it. I have a holley street avenger on my latest toy and love it . Sounds like may be the BG should have been sent back to the factory to let them see if there was a problem in production. Anybody can make a lemon once in a while. FYI. Also , all NASCAR ues are Holley, So yes they only want to work on Holley's.

Last edited by Mighty Mouse S-10; 01-18-2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

To the BG tech rep,

Since any correct sized carb never uses the total available carb CFM, it is "not smart" to say a Demon flows more CFM than a Edelbrock.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.