Are there any good Maintenace Videos for Beginners? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2008, 10:36 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Are there any good Maintenace Videos for Beginners?

I was wondering if anybody knew of any good Maintenance Videos for beginners? I don't know much about cars and have been looking for around for some good videos, but haven't been able to find anything.

I found this great site called Smartflix which has a lot of really cool videos, but I'm unsure of how good some of the videos are. Has anybody used Smartflix?

I was thinking of getting this video on replacing brakes since I need to do that soon. Does this seem like an adequate video?

http://smartflix.com/store/video/125...isc-Brake-Pads

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2008, 12:10 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
The video is twenty dollars to rent, you
can buy a manual for your car for about
the same amount, & a multi vehicle manual for a bit more, & you don't need to return it, then re-rent when you want to do another repair.
A manual will cover just about everything
you'll be able to do with your limited experience.
Take care,
Rich
Old 05-17-2008, 10:32 PM

Last photo:

The problem I've found with manuals is there really only good if you already know what you're doing. A lot of the information isn't presented in a clear easy way for a beginner to understand. I have a mechanic friend who told me "I never use manuals unless I have to check something and when I first started learning they weren't helpful."

I do have one and have gotten use out of it. It definitely has been an asset, but it's hard to tell how to do things properly from a book with bad pictures and text that assumes you know what you are doing. I'd much rather have someone show me or watch a video.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,148 Times in 947 Posts
The way I see it, $20 to rent a video to learn how to do brakes is a good investment. You'd spend more than that for a dinner with a date at a cheap place. And I absolutely agree with you and your friend about the uselessness of most manuals. When it all comes down to push and shove, most of 'em say "disassemble", then "reassemble in reverse".

I vote for renting the video, watching it several times, then asking questions on here if there is anything you don't fully understand. The value you'll receive from the tutorial can be used for the rest of your life, long after the $20 is forgotten.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:10 AM

Maintenance videos - **************

[QUOTE]
I found this great site called 8888888888888 which has a lot of really cool videos, but I'm unsure of how good some of the videos are. Has anybody used ********

I was thinking of getting this video on replacing brakes since I need to do that soon. Does this seem like an adequate video?

ne here has noticed us at ***********, and we hope you'll find lots of useful videos on topics related to your favorite subject. We have videos on welding, sheet metal forming, and auto body painting, to name just a few.

In reply to the question about the quality of the videos, we encourage our renters to review their rentals, so you can often find out what folks think of the video before you rent it. There are over 6,000 reviews in our database right now.

As a thank-you, and an inducement to come check things out, here's a coupon code for ****** off any one rental at ***********

Enter

In the coupon field at checkout and you'll receive a $2.00 discount on your rental.

If you have any suggestions for videos we should carry, let us know, as we have an active purchasing department and are always looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
the folks at ***********

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 05-23-2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,148 Times in 947 Posts
As a retired businessman, I understand why the above post was edited by management. It is, however, most unfortunate that it has to be that way. Hopefully, those of you seeking guidance from such videos can google for them.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 AM

Thanks, TechInspector1!

The coupons' still good -- email us and we'll send it to you.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

Why block the coupon code? I understand its a commercial post but the coupon code should not have been blocked imo!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.