Is there any way to acheive OEM finish - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 06:27 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If you don't mind me/us asking, what Country or even Continent are you from? Your command of the English language would indicate that you are either a transplanted North American...US I'd guess or the native tongue is English...Is it a United Kingdom Country?

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
If you don't mind me/us asking, what Country or even Continent are you from? Your command of the English language would indicate that you are either a transplanted North American...US I'd guess or the native tongue is English...Is it a United Kingdom Country?

Ray
ummm...not a united kingdom country: which i assume would generally only be refered to as the UK. So yeah, nope im not from the UK

Sooooo...*drum roll*....
Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

A Country that does bad body work and painting, has fish eye problems...so a Country with contamination issues...speaks English well...wealthy...United Arab Emirates or a wealthy part of India...am I any closer?

Ray
Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Hong Kong, your from Hong Kong and that would explain the fish eyes...LOL

Ray
Old 08-29-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
A Country that does bad body work and painting, has fish eye problems...so a Country with contamination issues...speaks English well...wealthy...United Arab Emirates or a wealthy part of India...am I any closer?

Ray
wow! Im honestly impressed Roy! Almost hit the nail on the head there with the united arab emirates. But by missing you accidently hit the target!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I just thought of it for 2 reasons, who could have that much money that they don't care about what their car looks like after it's repaired....United Arab Emirates came to mind...LOL

The other reason was that I did some airbrush work for someone in United Arab Emirates in 2003, a friend of mine was working on one of the projects in Dubai and his boss wanted a picture of his dog airbrushed on the hood of his car...my buddy gave him my name, we discussed it via Email, he sent me the hood and a picture...I did it and he payed me a ridiculous amount of money...up front....only seeing some pictures that I sent sent my buddy of the airbrush work I had done (I didn't have any pictures on my computer at that time....even if I did...I just learned how to attach photo's to an Email recently...LOL...you see, I might be able to paint but, when it comes to computers, I've been labeled a Techtard...LOL).

He suggested an amount, I quickly accepted and when he sent me the money...it was in US funds...at that time the Canadian dollar was only worth 66 cents US...I told him that he paid me to much, he told me to keep it and just do a better job than usual. I couldn't believe it. So, if you ever see a Black 03 Mercedes with a Bulldog airbrushed on the hood driving around...I did it...LOL.

With all the money that's out there...I'm just surprised that no on has opened an elite Body Shop...I'm sure it would go over well.

Ray
Old 08-29-2013, 03:54 PM

Its not that they dont care how their car looks like. Its just that quality work by the standards here, is sad by western standards. So ppl just dont know any better cz better is simply just not available. So imagine when you expose ppl to work that is way better than what is considered the best.
Like imagine the best car in your world is an Nissan Maxima. In your whelm of reality, the Maxima is the most luxurious car out there. Imagine owning this top of the line, luxurious car and driving it. Imagine turning heads wherever you went and ppl fumbling for their cell phones and cameras to take pics before you disappeared. Now imagine, all of a sudden, you were given a BMW 750IL...or better yet, a Rolls Royce Phantom??
How would you feel?? How would you feel about the Maxima??
Old 08-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Well, I can't say as though I've ever run for my camera for a Maxima...LOL...but understand the concept. I would imagine that the cost of setting up shop out there would be horrendous. The cost of living I'm sure is through the roof which would make land values extremely high and with high land values comes high everything else.

Again, if you don't mind me asking, what would the average yearly income be in that part of the world?

Ray
Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM

Arabs got the money, but unfortunately not the brains. Most ppl from this region is like a spoiled kid; gets what he wants, when he wants it, without having to do anything or work for anything. So there is no reason for them to be good at anything. Therefore everyone from here is good at jack all... But fortunately for ppl from other regions that are good at something, there is an Arab to buy what he/she has to offer and make him/her rich.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I've heard some wild stories of how things are done out there and the waste is incredible. My friend was telling me about a hotel he stayed at (paid for by a local employer). It was hotter than the blazes outside but the main doors of the hotel never closed to keep the air conditioning in. I just CAN'T imagine...just like your Maxima analogy.

Ray
Old 08-29-2013, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin View Post
Hey guys, just joined this site to ask this question that i've been trying to get an answer to FOREVER!

I want to get my car painted in a way that it would not look like its been painted. To me that means OEM standard. Is there a way to achieve this.
I know this is now an old thread and has wandered a bit with answers, but when I had read this first part of the original message I found myself nodding in agreement. The first word that came to my mind was over restoration.
I am thinking about cars that the paint color and or gloss just doesn't match the vintage of the car. On a old car enthusiasts site I frequent, they call it " having the car dipped in plastic"
Old 08-29-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Well, I can't say as though I've ever run for my camera for a Maxima...LOL...but understand the concept. I would imagine that the cost of setting up shop out there would be horrendous. The cost of living I'm sure is through the roof which would make land values extremely high and with high land values comes high everything else.

Again, if you don't mind me asking, what would the average yearly income be in that part of the world?

Ray
On the contrary, cost of living is the lowest in the world, literally! Look it up! You could get a more than decent apartment in an up scale neighbourhood for no more than $6500-$8000 a year. A decent 2 bedroom apt in a mid class neighbourhood is for $4000 a year. Something extravagant and over-the-top would be for $16000. That is the most you would find an apt for. A dollar more and you are in the houses territory.

You could go to the supermarket and literally fill up two shopping carts till stuff starts falling off, with anything you wanted and spend no more than $300. Im talking stuff that could easily last you a month.

Literally nowhere in the world is consumer product cheaper. And oh yeah, gas is $0.36 a gallon! Which is cheaper than bottled water. Actually, you get a half gallon bottled water free everytime you spend $2.5 at the pump. So you always have free bottled water in your fridge

Last edited by freefallin; 08-29-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

REALLY...I'm blown away and not just by the fuel prices, Holey O Crap...something just doesn't make sense...my buddy that worked out there had all of his accommodations paid for and I know he came back with a fist full of cash but usually when there's a lot of money, prices sky rocket...so let me ask you, what are these people paying for a paint job out there? Have you checked that out?

Hey "Imperialman67", it's good to see you back on here again...it's been a while. I know what you mean though. I did a 67 Corvette once (we could still get lacquer in Canada then...that's how long ago it was) and it had to be perfect...texture, overspray everything just like factory...to be honest, that's an art...I enjoy making them looked like they're dipped in plastic...it's actually easier than a 1,000 point concours restoration...they check every nut and bolt to make sure that that's what it had on it from the factory.

Ray
Old 08-29-2013, 05:30 PM

Around $2000 for a decent (again, this region decent) paint job. $4000 plus for the same decent paint job if you want to old paint stripped off
Old 08-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Then there might be a problem...I would charge and do charge a bit more than that...quite a bit more...for example, the Firebird in the picture was well over 15K for paint and body and the customer supplied all the material and paint, the body was stripped when I got it...but the bottom, the engine compartment, even the wheel tubs where all painted body color...even the engine was painted body color...the rad support, the underneath of the hood and deck lid where all as shiny as the outside.

Do you think there would be a market for that out there at those prices? The car is a straight as an arrow...nothing was missed.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68 Firebird 1A.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	78410   Click image for larger version

Name:	68 Firebird.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	78418  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.