Is there any way to acheive OEM finish - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Is there any way to acheive OEM finish

Hey guys, just joined this site to ask this question that i've been trying to get an answer to FOREVER!

I want to get my car painted in a way that it would not look like its been painted. To me that means OEM standard. Is there a way to achieve this. I've heard that its impossible to get factory finish but custom paint can be even better than factory. Is that true??

Even though i have no experience in painting cars, i could easily tell if a car was painted. The paint just looks thicker. You can just feel it as much as you can see it. Dont know how else to explain it. It looks like you could dig into it with your nails and scoop out some paint...even though actually doing that will only result in broken nails....you get the idea.

So how is it possible to get that perfect, thorough, flawless finish. Any step by step guide out there?!

Thanks for any help guys!!

Ps. I know the more knowledgeable members will either just roll their eyes or not bother to answer or both....and the rest will just say to do a research cz it is a dumb noob question and you would prefer to answer intelligent, interesting, challenging questions....but hey, i'm sure you guys starter here some time ago

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 06:06 PM

Last photo:

First we need to know what year and make the car is... and maybe the color you want.

Paints have changed constantly since 1900, and the pigments and final finish vary by year and manufacturer.

Are you not wanting a better than original job? I couldn't tell if you liked the idea or didn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to TucsonJay For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

First of all welcome to the forum

Secondly I don't think anyone here will roll their eyes and act as if you are beneath them for asking a question, even if it does seem a bit trivial to some. I would rather you ask and gain knowledge than to sit there and assume and be wrong. However, I am a big advocate of searching the good ole google button before asking a question, but I am sure you either A: got a boat load of results with no clear answer, or B: got nothing useful at all with you question being what it is.

Now to answer your question, I personally (and I am sure many others would agree) feel that there are a multitude of improvements to be made over a "factory OEM" paint job.

As far as procedure, it is pretty much the same for any durable paint job such as, starting with bare metal, apply an epoxy, then do any filler work, then a 2k urethane, when all blocking is done and panels are straight, apply a sealer coat of epoxy then apply base coat, then clear coat. Following those steps will lead you to a long lasting durable paint job (keep in mind I skipped the details between the steps, but that gives you an idea). if you will look at a factory paint job, take pictures up close even, you will see that the reflection is somewhat blurry or bumpy, and the surface feels a little bumpy as well (this is known as OP/orange peel). That is not (or should not) be the case with a quality type paint job. When you look at a quality paint job, the reflection should be as clear as looking in a mirror, and feel as smooth as glass. That will make the paint look deeper (thicker). This is usually achieved by good application of the base and clear, as well as many hours sanding and buffing the vehicle.

If you are trying to duplicate the factory finish for a blend type job it can be done, but I have a harder time trying to match factory orange peel than trying to get a good flat finish. If you are wanting your car to look "factory" then use a good quality, medium solids clear and don't sand and buff when finished. It should give you a close to factory look.

Hope that helps explain it a little better.

kelly
Old 08-27-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
First we need to know what year and make the car is... and maybe the color you want.

Paints have changed constantly since 1900, and the pigments and final finish vary by year and manufacturer.

Are you not wanting a better than original job? I couldn't tell if you liked the idea or didn't.
it is a 04' Pontiac GTO. Red
And how can i not like the idea of better than original

http://www.gtoforum.com/attachments/...ed-gto-001.jpg
Old 08-27-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
First of all welcome to the forum

Secondly I don't think anyone here will roll their eyes and act as if you are beneath them for asking a question, even if it does seem a bit trivial to some. I would rather you ask and gain knowledge than to sit there and assume and be wrong. However, I am a big advocate of searching the good ole google button before asking a question, but I am sure you either A: got a boat load of results with no clear answer, or B: got nothing useful at all with you question being what it is.

Now to answer your question, I personally (and I am sure many others would agree) feel that there are a multitude of improvements to be made over a "factory OEM" paint job.

As far as procedure, it is pretty much the same for any durable paint job such as, starting with bare metal, apply an epoxy, then do any filler work, then a 2k urethane, when all blocking is done and panels are straight, apply a sealer coat of epoxy then apply base coat, then clear coat. Following those steps will lead you to a long lasting durable paint job (keep in mind I skipped the details between the steps, but that gives you an idea). if you will look at a factory paint job, take pictures up close even, you will see that the reflection is somewhat blurry or bumpy, and the surface feels a little bumpy as well (this is known as OP/orange peel). That is not (or should not) be the case with a quality type paint job. When you look at a quality paint job, the reflection should be as clear as looking in a mirror, and feel as smooth as glass. That will make the paint look deeper (thicker). This is usually achieved by good application of the base and clear, as well as many hours sanding and buffing the vehicle.

If you are trying to duplicate the factory finish for a blend type job it can be done, but I have a harder time trying to match factory orange peel than trying to get a good flat finish. If you are wanting your car to look "factory" then use a good quality, medium solids clear and don't sand and buff when finished. It should give you a close to factory look.

Hope that helps explain it a little better.

kelly
Wow, im loving this place already! Thanks alot for your warm welcome and your reply carolinacustoms. Where to start?? OK! Well, i said OEM finish because honestly, every paint job that i've seen was worst than OEM. Could mean a) There is no place that does a good job painting a car where i am b) i havent seen enough painted cars.
In any case, yes! I would love to get a nice no orange peel, mirror finish paint job. You gave a brief on how that is attained....what i'm dying for is a detailed guide on how it is accomplished. And to answer your question it is both A and B. I've been at Google for ages but to not much avail. The only thing i could come up with is this guy selling a course for $200 learnautobodyandpaint dot com. At this point even though i think that is ridiculously expensive, i would buy the course if it was guaranteed to really be thorough. So yeah....i'm a noob to a certain extent ...who is looking to learn.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Welcome to the site, your questions aren't eye rolling at all.

I've read your posts and let me tell you...some people want that factory textured finish...I painted the front clip of a black Camaro years ago and had to redo it, it was to smooth and the customer wouldn't accept it. So there are two sides to what people want.

Most of the glass like pictures that you see of cars have been sanded and polished...that is an art unto itself, especially on dark colors.

If your looking for that deep shine, flat finish, the top coat is only going to be as smooth as the substrate. What this means is that the primer or whatever your painting over top of needs to be sanded perfectly smooth in order to get a chance at having that real deep no texture finish. Even with a smooth substrate as you add layers of paint, the surface can get that Orange peely look. This is where technique and product comes into play. An experienced painter can lay clear down like glass...even then it can usually be improved upon with color sanding and polishing.

I hope this somewhat answers your question...if you need more indepth description of what it takes feel free to ask, there are many of us here that are happy to pass on information.

All the best and enjoy the forum.

Ray
Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Well, I am not familiar with the website you mentioned, but I would be very hard pressed to pay $200 for an online course. I feel you could probably find the same (if not better) advice here by people who paint for a living. Try going to a few car shows in your area and looking at the cars. I'm sure if they are like around here, there will be some that aren't that good, some that are comparable to factory, and then the "Elite" that look like a colored mirror. When you find a paint job you like, ask the owner who painted it and go from there. Now keep in mind, the paint will look no better than the prep work under it, bad body work will lead to a bad paint job, and be prepared to get expensive, especially with red. Ray (69 widetrack) posted a very good break down of painting on another thread, I will see if I can find it and link it to this thread so you can read it.

Kelly
Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 PM

Factory Paint

Freefallin I'm new to the site too. I'm not a sarcastic person really, I'm NO body man in any way not even close to a bad one.

I tell you what though I can go buy a Wagner Power painter about $95.00 at Home Depot and paint a truck or car in my yard and do better than what I saw on Cadillac's, GMC's and Buick's from 2006 to 2011 when I drove for part time for a Cadillac dealership. I retired in 2005 working 40 years for uncle sam.
I drove ( delivered cars & trucks ) part time for a few years.

In all seriousness I thought it was close to criminal the paint jobs that were on Escalades at $80,000 plus and all the rest of GM stuff. I'm a GM man but their w0rk was just plain sorry.

I'm not sure where you live but if you do a little net working locally I bet you find a decent body man / painter. Paint work is a art and how far you want to take it turns into Black Art that is only learned through experience. I've known a few men that their work went beyond incredible I'm talking Barret Jackson / Mecum auction type quality body and paint work. They normally aren't cheap either. If you do a little looking there always seems to be someone that has a good touch. You would be surprised how word travels about good work.

But in all honesty factory paint work is not difficult for a good shop.

Dan
Old 08-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Dan i completely understand what your saying, many people feel that because a vehicle is new, it's perfect. The finishes on newer vehicles is lees than perfect in all respects. I've had and have a local GM dealership that sends me new vehicles to get sanded down, re-cleared, color sanded and polished so that they can put them in there show room. The last one was Black Corvette...if that car would have been even close to acceptable I wouldn't have gotten the job.

Factory paint, when you look close, full of Orange Peel and very little depth. The factory now uses robots to paint. They get set up and what you get is what you get. One would think as you mentioned on an $80,000 to a $100,000 dollar vehicle the finish would be better..it's the same on a Cadillac as it is on Chevy Volt....and it's accepted. If I tried to pass that finish off to one of my customers...I can't say I'd be in business.

To the OP, Kelly was right when he mentioned to go to car shows and look at some of the fine finishes that are out there compared to factory...if what you've seen come out of local shops is not up to factory standards, keep looking, there are plenty of good shops that can deliver a great finish...when they care.

Ray
Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 PM

Thanks alot for your replies guys! What you are saying is very logical...ask and look around and im bound to find a good shop. Well unfortunately im not in the good ol u s of a. But rather in a 3rd world country, that is very rich.
To give you an idea on how bad it is, i went to the best shops and asked them if it is possible to do a paint job without fisheye and they all said no and that some fisheye is inevitable. And like i said, these are the top shops who charge an arm and a leg! So yeah, best bet is for me to learn how it is done and then "show" them and probably pay more than what they currently charge for the best job

Last edited by freefallin; 08-27-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

3rd world, very rich, poor quality of workmanship, lots of fish eyes...should I open a shop there?...LOL

Okay now I understand why you would think a factory paint job was great. I'm just surprised that there aren't any decent shops available...anywhere over there. Hang around here for a while and we can teach you.

Ray
Old 08-27-2013, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
3rd world, very rich, poor quality of workmanship, lots of fish eyes...should I open a shop there?...LOL

Ray
Yeah Ray, I think I will be right behind you !!!! LOL !!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Dennis..how about a partnership...you never know...we could charge what we're worth by the sounds of it...finally...LOL

Ray
Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 PM

Last photo:

Aaahh Im all in, let me know where to sign !!! Finally we have made it !!!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

LOL...Dennis, I'm ordering our company cars tomorrow...what color would you like your Prius in...LOL

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.