Is there any way to eliminate my computer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 11:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Is there any way to eliminate my computer?

I would like to eliminate the computer out of my car. I was hoping someone could tell me if this is possible and how? Thanks, Alex

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

It would really help to know what kind of car you have, what your plans are, and what your local smog laws are. Why do you want to eliminate the computer?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:56 AM

Find the computer, cut all the wires off it and throw it in the neighbors yard. There, done..........

Now if you want the car to run after removing the computer we'll need a bit more info...........If it's a SBC in a 1990 pickup you may be in luck, if it's a Caddy Northstar it's gonna be a bit harder, if not impossible.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:58 PM

I think it might be a 1991 camaro, TBI 350. Should be pretty easy to swap over to carb. You will need to find a non computer controlled dizzy, a carb and a manifold. All I can think of at the moment.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

With a name like "ahorse89" it sounds like it could be a 89 ford mustang.????
Old 06-08-2007, 03:51 PM

actually its ahouse89 and its a 1991 Camaro 350, TBI, and i want to eliminate the computer to get rid of all the junk under the hood, i just want the bare essentials
Old 06-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

If my SN reading talents and research are still up to par..

It's Alex House, 1989, (ahouse89) and the car is a 91 Camero, with a 305 TBI..going to a 350 graft..

IF your State requires SMOG Certification, Get the Computer with the 350 AND all the sensors and ALL the wiring harness..Graft that into your Camero Body..You'll Need it anyway if the 350 Is injected. (or an expensive aftermarket computer/Harness system).

I'D Do it EVEN if your state Does NOT require testing..For TWO reasons..The first of which, almost all states are adopting California emission standards now, AND if not yet, have it on their Private agenda..SO you may end up with a Street Rod you can no longer register two years from now..

AND the second reason..(Especially if it has an injected induction system..) A Computer Controlled Vehicle Performs Better, and gets Better Mileage than a Carbed Vehicle..and at (SF Prices) $3.75 a gallon, OR $75 Fazools for a full 20 gallon tank..It's worth the effort..Like 8 or 10, Vs 14 to 18 MPG..AND The price may waver..but rest assured..It will be going up more.

Plus you can always go with a performance chip , and add other upgrades for better "Breathing" , and the like , and not suffer losses in MPG but end up with the performance you want.

I see a lot of guys here that toss the computer..even after being informed, "you may want to rethink that move".. and believe they will never need an emissions test..or actually believe they can "Walk" through testing if their area requires it....and post back a few years later: "Help! Need to Pass Smog.." either because the law in their area changed , OR They found out the reality that no Smog tech is going to risk 5 years in jail and up to $100.000 fine to give them a Free pass..Now They have a rod they can not register or drive.

Just My Nickels Worth..The Final Decision is yours..

Doc
Old 06-08-2007, 03:53 PM

As far as I know, all you will need to do to remove the ecu is pull all the wiring and the ecu. You will need a new Distributor as yours is controlled by the ecu. Any GM HEI or other will work, your gonna need a new intake manifold, and a carb. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53_belair
Any GM HEI or other will work, your gonna need a new intake manifold, and a carb. Good luck.
Doc here,

The Dizzy needs to be 1980 GM HEI (If going GM) or under, And/Or not have EST Plug on it..Or, if it runs at all, .. won't get out of it's own way..

The Carb needs to be a ME type Not an EME (If your going with Q~Jet)..No computer plugs..else it Will perform like crap..get about 4 to 6 miles a gallon, and STINK of fuel all the time running or just sitting..

Doc
Old 06-08-2007, 04:59 PM

You will need to replace the in tank electric pump with a mechanical one or install a regulator. I tried the regulator first and it was a pain. 150 bucks plus 30 bucks in fittings and my time and I couldn't get it to stop leaking vs. 30 bucks for a pump, 10 for a push rod, about five in hose and clamps. you will have to replace the tank pickup with either a new pickup or a piece of tubing or hose, if you use hose be sure to get some rated for inside a tank. After that all you need is a carb, manifold, and a non computer controlled distributor.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.