Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is there a bracket that can relocate a Hurst Shifter handle forward a few inches?

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  timothale 
#1 ·
Thanks in advance for reading!

Doing a V8 conversion in my 1972 Vega GT. Using a Saginaw 4-speed with a Hurst competition plus shifter and mounting kit to lower the shifter, and a 1969 Camaro shifter to offset the handle towards the center of the car.

The good news - this setup fits great under the Vega. Plenty of room - in fact the shifter itself is well below the tunnel, and the 1969 shifter offsets is almost perfectly center.

Here's the strange part. The offset shifter fits great, but it's about 5 inches behind the hole for the factory shifter. Normally I would just cut a new hole, but with so much room under there it would actually be a super clean install if I could somehow buy a bracket that moves

I'm thinking of like a "L" shaped bracket that would mount to the shifter and move the handle forward, centering it in the existing hole. I made something in Photoshop to illustrate what I'm looking for.

Does something like this exist?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I need it to move the handle forward by 5 inches. Of course, inside the car the handle will lean back towards the rear of the car. It's going to end up making a big "C"

But you're right - until I get it working I won't know, but there appears to be a ton of clearance in there.

I'll look into those Summit suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.