Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Is there a difference in Argon or Co2 regulators? Am I gonna have trouble?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 10:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is there a difference in Argon or Co2 regulators? Am I gonna have trouble?

I have a 110 MIG with a bottle attachment I bought used. I have used it for a couple of years, but the regulator started leaking. I called around and found out I might have the wrong one and a new one would be over $80. The pressure goes up to 70psi, but I run it about 20 psi. There are two scales one for CO2 and one for Argon. Sounds to me like its a combination valve, but I don't know much about them.

I use an Argon/CO2 mix. I get the bottles at Northern Tool since that's what was on it when I got it.

I decided I would take apart the regulator and see what was up. I found a couple of O-rings were gummy and a tear in one. For about a buck, I replaced the O rings with some I found at a hardware store and it seems to be working fine now.

So my question is, does it make any difference which regulator is used? What made the o-rings gummy like that? I used some silicone grease to lightly lub the new rings before I put it all back together.