There must be a cheaper way - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 08:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

This is actually a pretty sad question if you think about it. Rustrod's first option is to buy some pre-made part rather than take his ideas and trusty tape measure to the junk yard and start sniffing thru the wrecked car for those perfect parts. Somewhere down the line hot rodding has turned from a DIY with salvaged parts to kit car assembly. I blame the rod magazines primarily which have gone almost 100% to reprinting after market parts manufacturers installation instructions under the guise of 'tech articles'. Can't really blame them very much though - that's where they get their advertising $$ to stay in business.

Rust; Look in my Journal for directions on converting your stock early window risers to power ones using common Ford motors (easy and almost free) and send me your email address and I'll send you a tech article on making your own hidden hinges (again almost free). Before it became 'necessary' to buy commercial $$bear claw$$ latches, VW and other import donor car ones were the hot setup. Again almost free. You have a large variety of unique inside and outside door handles that are easily adapted too. If you have never done it, try looking at a hot rod parts problem critically, get a good idea of what you what to do to fix it and trip down to your Pick-A-Part and find the perfect solution. That approach will score HUGE points with the little lady and think of the possibilities that brings!

Advertisement

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 08-12-2004 at 08:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2004, 07:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hinges

I agree with fas10 older ford and chevy door hinges.They are hidden and very strong.They won't twist or spring from the doors weight.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:35 PM

Last journal entry: Window templates
Last photo:

Home made hidden hinges

To answer astroracer's question a while back about the posts sticking out of the hinges, these contain a spring which pushes down on a detest ball. This is what keeps the door open and is adjustable by a threaded plug at the top of the post which puts more or less pressure on the spring and in turn the ball which acts on the top edge of the hinge in the open position.
I'm currently working on designing hidden hinges for my 29 Whippet. The most challenging part so far is determining the location of the pins and the shape of the hinges so that they clear the body as they open, as well as swinging the doors out enough to clear the curvature of the body in the full open position. I am also trying to get the bottom to swing out further than the top so that the doors don't "sag" in the open position due to the inward slope of the lower body. Lots of trial and error on the computer so far, but I'm getting there.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:28 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Every one enjoys their car for a different reason. Some enjoy the build more than the drive, some just want to set by it in a lawn chair at rod runs. If it was me I would get that badboy chopped and spend the money on a huffed 392 Hemi and go have some fun. But that is just me. BTW, I think the 33-34 Dodges are about the coolest looking body style.
I think the direction you seem to be taking you should get ready to start shelling out bucks for aftermarket parts.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.