Thereal scoop on springs?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2006, 04:11 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thereal scoop on springs??

Lowering springs

Sorry, but I goofed and put my new question on this thread. Can you click on it and look at my question? Hg

Advertisement

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]

Last edited by HemmiGremmie; 02-23-2006 at 04:12 PM. Reason: goofed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

here ya go hemmi :

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemmiGremmie
Howdy all.
I really want to lower my front end on the gremlin. I keep hearing about cutting the coils is dangerous, makes handling ruff and is not a good idea. But I hear from others that cutting springs is ok.
I want my gremlin to be dropped enuff to be able to see a hint of the blower and belt.
As you can see in this pic, every Gremlin Ive seen with a blower only shows the carbs. One is not a Gremlin, but an idea of the heighth I like and the blower look I like.
I know 1-2 inches dont sound like much, but what would it take to be able to see a bit of the blower in this this pic? 1 inch, 2????? How much of the coil should I cut if I do this? Tnx, HG

ok, i got an opinion on this.....I recently did both spring clamps, then cut coils.... The spring clamps since i had shocks thru the center of the coils, eventually wound up denting my shock :-s....so i took a cut off tool to my spring. I only took off about 4 inches of the coil, not heightwise , but in total length...like not even half a coil...I did it in 3 cuts to gradually drop it to what height i wanted it. It stiffend up my springs somewhat, but my springs were already soft so it evened it out. my process, take coil out, cut, put coil in, screw on the castle nut/balljoint to the spindle somewhat, remount tire temporarily, lower car back down on ground, check ride height, jack back up remove coil cut again IF necessary, then repeat the process until your goood to go...

I didnt have major problems with cthe clamps, they were alright but i didnt like what they were doin to my shocks. people told me they would break, or ride worse than cut....well they were fine...
Now that I cut them, it does ride better than when they were clamped, so far ive had no real bumpsteer or other problems, occasional tire rub on the inner fender, but hey...its low.....my front crossmember is only 3 3 and a half inches at the most off the ground....and my headers are even closer to the road :-s potholes kill my gut when you hit em being that low... :-s dont even mention speed bumps with passengers, whaaaam!

just make sure you go slow and dont cut too much off, get in the car on the side you cut too, because you are going to be in it driving and u need to know how high it is then....(could cut just the right amount and forget to get in...then get it all cut and back together...get in ....and wham its too low :-s) so do some thinkin and you should be good to go.

edit: ill go try n find the coils i cut n snap a webcam pic of how long it was...not very much cutting dropped it 2 inches brb
Old 02-23-2006, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

ok here's how much coil i cut, the small pieces are my 1st cuts and once guesstimating the ratio i was cutting at i started bigger and bigger cuts till itwas just right..... its about half a coil and it dropped it 2 inches

Take a cut off tool to em, dont torch them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb23$20.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	10273  
Old 02-23-2006, 05:37 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Thanks Elky.
Do you have a before n after shot of how much it dropped yer ride?
As you can see, the Gremlin sets pretty hi. The springs are stiff as a board to. Tnx, HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 02-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
The springs are stiff as a board to. Tnx, HG
I suggest finding another set of springs......with LESS spring rate....because when you cut yours..........the spring rate will go even stiffer......

Find a set that is shorter......or a set with less rate that is the same diameter. ALSO........as a general rule...........the smaller the diameter of the wire ........the less the spring rate.....

Old 02-24-2006, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

well hemmi the closest i have to a before and after is a before and after but they arent the same angle

The first pic, before, It was really high before a good 3 inches gap between the tire and fender opening. The 2nd pic was taken a while after i put the clamps on it (i kept the same ride height after I cut the springs, It looks the same now,mabey half inch lower) the tires tuck in the fenders now.

BUT....I would do what duece said, find some shorter to put in or softer springs to cut. If your ride is already stiff, cutting them is gonna make it alooot stiffer. My springs are old so they stiffened up being cut wich just about put it back to normal spring rate i assume.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	10283   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	10284  
Old 02-24-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Howdy all.

I want my gremlin to be dropped enuff to be able to see a hint of the blower and belt.

I know 1-2 inches dont sound like much, but what would it take to be able to see a bit of the blower in this this pic? 1 inch, 2????? How much of the coil should I cut if I do this? Tnx, HG
It doesn't matter what you do to the springs, you are not going to see any more of the blower. If you lower the car two inches, the engine is going down as well. If you want more blower exposed you will have to raise the engine relative to the chassis. No amount of suspension lowering will do that.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.