"There's always a crowd around my car! It must be cool!" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 11:10 AM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

"There's always a crowd around my car! It must be cool!"

Or maybe people just like to see bad accidents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	junk.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	22245   Click image for larger version

Name:	junk2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	22246   Click image for larger version

Name:	junk3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	22247  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 11:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It will be nice when its finished.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

It's hard to not look at the cartoons.

That is all many of those cars are.

They are like wild hairdos or bizzare tattoos.

They serve no purpose other than to draw attention to the car , and through some kind of weird osmosis, make the owner of that cartoon car, hairdo, whatever, think that makes them cool as well.

They will have no shortage of followers, but most of the "fans" will be just as easily distracted by another cartoon car, or stacked up hairdo screaming their "song", or something shiny( or in this case,rusty), on the ground.

I will continue to judge a person on the resoursefulness, industrious tenacity or real talent that they called upon to build their car.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 06-24-2007, 12:51 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

haha you slay me with the "finished." If it runs and is drivable it's finished ....untill another "rat" idea comes along.

Where do you guys get all these rats??? haha they look like a lot of fun.

Us traditional guys are really getting getting it "our faces". There is some real art craft in the rats. Gotta love them.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

I like it, i always thought the same thing, but i found a tread from the hamb, where alot of bad stuff was said about my car , so now im starting to wonder, not that i really care, i built it for my enjoyment, but it still kinda stings, when someone calls your car an abortion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2024.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	22248   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2025.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	22249  
Old 06-24-2007, 01:31 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Tell me there isn't art here. A talent I sure don't have. At first I wasn't too cool with these but now ....hey they are automotive expressions just like the highest dollar thing around. I like them.

I posted before about a guy I ran into up here. He had the cam reground so the intake and exhaust were reversed. He had 8 Honda motorcylce carbs mounted onthe exhaust ports and 4 foot long pipes mounted onthe intake ports.!!! A flat head v-8 ignition onn the cam cover. Weird?? haha it ran on E-85 to boot. Never broke down he told me.

enjoy them.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Loose lug nut ?

Any other loose nuts ?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1950
I like it, i always thought the same thing, but i found a tread from the hamb, where alot of bad stuff was said about my car , so now im starting to wonder, not that i really care, i built it for my enjoyment, but it still kinda stings, when someone calls your car an abortion.
I found this car on the HAMB. It was in a recent thread that asked for pics of low cars. Even the folks on the HAMB are tired of the cutting and chopping gone wild. They are also getting tired of the rusted hulks too. It seems that the joke is finally being recognized as a joke.

While they admit that there is a lot of work involved in something like this, it is still agreed that it is wasted and over done. The reason I posted this was that I kept reading how one validation for doing this to a car was that "it always has a crowd around it". Yea, they always will. Like a bad accident on the highway, they command at least a glance and the thought that "I'm sure glad that wasn't me."

There was also a thread where a guy was complaining that people were calling his rusted, fenderless, floorboardless, guageless and unsafe car a rat rod or jalopy. Well the response was that it is what it is.

Personally, I'm glad to see the wake up call going into effect. Now, the posers and coat tailers are finally coming out into the light. The cries of "That's the way it was done!" are being drowned out by, "No it wasn't and you're an idiot if you think it was."

I firmly believe that no car back in the early days was intended to go without some form of paint sooner or later. Just like today, there were hot rods and there were jalopies. The difference between then and now is that for a brief time jalopies got popular. As it turns out, very brief. I'm starting to notice that a lot of the guys doing this to cars were not even BORN in the era they say they are trying to preserve!

Does "work" like this bother me? Yes, because it's already hard enough to find good gennie steel and maybe one day I'll want to build a nice rod out of some and it will be all gone, but there will be something like THIS sitting in a parking lot at a show! That's why.

Here's a link to the HAMBers calling a duck, a duck.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=190705

Last edited by tfeverfred; 06-24-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:26 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
Loose lug nut ?
Could that have been intentional?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:27 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

That car qualifies as a perfect example of what the term POS stands for. What a pile of crap!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
Tell me there isn't art here. A talent I sure don't have. At first I wasn't too cool with these but now ....hey they are automotive expressions just like the highest dollar thing around. I like them.

I posted before about a guy I ran into up here. He had the cam reground so the intake and exhaust were reversed. He had 8 Honda motorcylce carbs mounted onthe exhaust ports and 4 foot long pipes mounted onthe intake ports.!!! A flat head v-8 ignition onn the cam cover. Weird?? haha it ran on E-85 to boot. Never broke down he told me.

enjoy them.
A surgeon can be a great surgeon, but if he cuts off a foot and sews it to an arm, no matter how well he did it, he is still a butcher.

Not to start an argument, but what is the "expression" in this type car? What is the "motivation" in this piece of "art"?
Old 06-24-2007, 06:15 PM
On the learning curve.

This is the same arguement as to if imports are hot rods and why people tune imports. Personally I think imports are retarded, no offence. I would much rather see a rusty old T that has been chopped and channeled or whatever. When it all comes down to it WE are all hotrodding. As long as someone has taken some type of vehicle and made some modifications to it, it is a type of hot rod.

Whether you like it or not doesnt matter. The person who owns that car built it that way or had it built that way because that is how they wanted it. That is the whole reason any of us do what we do to our vehicles, to make it our own, to make it what WE want. The way I see it if you dont like it stay away from it. When at car shows I keep away from the area with all the imports cause I dont like them, do I go on the intenet and tell them their cars are a POS? Do I say they arent cool or that they shouldnt be doing what they are? No. Its not my place to interfere with how they want to build THEIR vehicle.

Do I like rat rods? They dont bother me. I dont agree with cutting up a perfectly good T for one. But if someone found an old one in less than good shape it wouldnt bother me. In fact Id rather see a guy with a rusty old T that he chopped in his garage and had to scrounge up parts from other cars just to get it running and driveable at a car show. Id rather see him than the guy who swipped his credit card at Boyd Coddingtons or East Coast Customs and had them build him some crazy retarded car that is driven rarely with EVERY piece being chrome or some paint job worth $$ $$$. In fact I place those "credit card rods" right alongside the imports.

Having said all that I do think the above "rat rod" is a bit overboard but to each their own.

Steve
PS: Sorry if I offended anyone!
Old 06-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

To quote one of my favorite lines from American Graffiti...

"Geez, what a waste of machinery..................."
Old 06-24-2007, 08:14 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeverfred
LMAO .............. someone dropped an anvil
Old 06-24-2007, 08:21 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeverfred
LMAO .............. someone dropped an anvil

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.