Hot Rod Forum banner

Thermostat or Not??

832 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  curtis73 
#1 ·
Ok all, You have all been real helpful here throughout my project and now that it's starting to wind down, I need to know your suggestions on whether I should run a thermostat or not. It's a BBC 461 in a S10 with a 4 core aluminum radiator & electric fan. We will only be running this truck at the 1/8 & 1/4 mile tracks, no street use. If you think I need to run a thermostat, what degree would you recommend?

Thanks

#4 ·
Agreed.

If you're doing oil changes and checking plugs after every few races, feel free to go a little cooler, like 160. It might free up a few ponies with the proper fuel trim.

Otherwise, 180-190 is fine, and as long as things are getting up to temp for a while. The main concern is oil health and ring health. If the engine doesn't get up to temp, the junk in the oil won't evaporate off, and the rich fuel mixtures associated with cold engines wash down cylinder walls which can dramatically shorten ring life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.