Thermostatic switch position - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thermostatic switch position

I'm planning to fit a threaded boss to my aluminium radiator (Ford 393 stroker) for the electric fan thermostatic switch. Which would be better - top tank or bottom tank? My thoughts were bottom tank, so the switch comes on if the radiator's struggling to cool enough...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289 View Post
I'm planning to fit a threaded boss to my aluminium radiator (Ford 393 stroker) for the electric fan thermostatic switch. Which would be better - top tank or bottom tank? My thoughts were bottom tank, so the switch comes on if the radiator's struggling to cool enough...
I don't think that there would be any benefit to having the fan switch mounted in the radiator. I have, both my electric water pump and fan switch, in the water cross-over near the thermostat, on my Pontiac.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Ummm. Yea. Put the switch near the thermostat housing on the engine.... That is what you want to cool. Putting it on the radiator will not reflect the engine temp at all and will send the fans the wrong signal...
Mark
Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 AM

Last photo:

I have done about 1000 miles with my 347 stroker using a 3 core radiator and large hayden thermostatic fan. I have an adjustable thermo switch with the sensor fitted in the top hose coolant stream. So the sensor wont sense heat until the thermostat opens at around 18 5. There have been no overheating issues with this setup, works well. The fan only comes on at speeds below about 15mph when there is not enough free flowing air through the radiator. For normal driving the fan stays off as the adjustable temp switch is set a few degrees above the thermostat.
Al.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289 View Post
I always put radiator fan switches in the lower tank near the lower radiator hose outlet.

I'm no Rocket Surgeon, but switching the radiator fan on and off based on the radiator outlet temperature makes more sense to me than switching it based on engine temp. Most of the time, when you are driving, there is natural airflow blowing through the radiator. At 80 MPH, the volume of air naturally blowing through the radiator is likely more than the fan could ever move. Having the fan on in that situation is not productive. If that natural airflow is enough for the radiator to do an adequate job of cooling the coolant, there is no need for the radiator fan to be on. If a radiator fan is switched on and off based on the temperature at the intake manifold, the fan will run needlessly some of the time, which will make the fan wear out that much faster, and put an unnecessary load on the charging system.

At my shop, our preferred setup is a 195 thermostat, and a rad fan switch near the radiator outlet that comes on at 185 and turns off at 170.

Hope this helps.....

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.