Hot Rod Forum banner

Which of these bel aire's would you buy?

2K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Riot Racing 
#1 · (Edited)

1953 CHEVROLET BEL AIR, extra rebuilt mechanical parts, $2500

-----OR-------

UPDATE:3-6-07

I came across a 1952 styleine deluxe for sale. It has all the original items except it is missing the powerglide transmission.
This car has been slightly hit (not sure of the damage), rust through the floor pan on the drive side and slightly through the right quarter panel.
All interior is original and all items are there. New side glass and all stainless steel items are on vehicle. $3500

Now: I know we can't judge what the car is worth without a picture but my question is:

How does the styleline compare to a 150,210, business coupe, 2 dr sedan?
In terms of resale value
parts, chrome items, engine variances, tranmissions variances.

Is it worth chopping the top and lowered and trying to make it a cool custom or it is a waste of money down the road, compared to a business coupe or such?

I really like the body style of the image posted above, but it seems like the styleine is not too different.

See less See more
#3 ·
re:bel-aires

I'm new to this myself and don't have a wealth of knoledge. I'm still trying to learn and come up with ideas while woking on a 85' Chevy truck a guy gave me. But I would go with the one that seemed the most affordable if I had an idea what I could do with it. That way if it doesn't work out I haven't wasted too much money.
Bill

#6 ·
The 52 is indeed a 2 dr. but it is NOT a bel air.
I know the prices seem high but from the time i have spent shopping these price actually seem decent. I would say slightly over priced.
if they were located closer to me i would go and take my own pictures.

the nice thing about the first image (53) is that it is indeed a bel air and that it would be worth more when completed, although i wont sell for a very very long time.

The 52 is a deluxe which has some interesting features of its own. I like the long swooping rear fender, and the body seems a little longer. probably because the bel aires were a bit of a sports coupe. Im going to call both sellers tomorrow and see what they want in terms of pricing, maybe i can get them to budge over the phone.
I know all of these cars need alot of work but most cars that i am looking for appear to be in this same condition. My biggest worry is no longer the rust, but if there are any missing pieces.

Like i said, i am probably goingt o chop the top if i can. so the glass will go either way

#7 ·
re:bel-aires

Myself....I would get the 41' the missing parts could be replaced fairly easy enough I think. Especially if like you said yourself, if it came down to it you could always turn it into a rat rod. But I could be wrong...

The most important thing is which one do you like the best, how much do you want to spend to get started, to finish, and do you have any kind of plan?

One thing I have figured out is that the experience and knowledge will come in time. But it's important to know how much you can spend, how much you can do, and how much you are willing to try. I've had to go back over lots of things I've done just because I didn't plan it well enough, or pay attention to some minor detail...
Bill

#9 ·
Update

The first one is indeed NOT a bel air. It is a 2dr business coupe.
the black one is 2dr sedan.

here is the info from what the seller told me:
lst car, 1953 business coupe.
cancer rust on rear quarters behind wheels
right rear quarter panel is hit
on body under trunk lid rust. floor pan has surface rust nothing structural
NO front bumper. rear bumper need at least new chrome (he says there are no dings).

car comes with a rebuilt 216 engine, rebuilt trans, rebuilt front suspension, rebuilt rear end.
only glass is broken is what is seen in pictures.
$2500 is pretty firm

the 52:
the guy is not sure if it is the original engine and trans. he claims that all the pieces are there. he claims there is surface rust and very very little cancer rust. Does NOT run. Does not know what the engine is.
Price is pretty firm because the car hasn't been for sale very long

I forgot to ask about the interiors of both cars, STUPID ME. thats the real expensive stuff.
Im going to talk to my buddy who is a hardcore chevy guy and see what he thinks, maybe he will even drive over to check them out with me.
What do you all think?

#11 ·
Panel, hands down. In my humble opinion, it lends itself to chopping and channeling more than the other two and you will not see another one like it except on a very rare occasion if ever. There is more metal to work with and any replacement will be easier to do.

Trees

#14 ·

1953 CHEVROLET BEL AIR, 2 dr, 2 tone brown/beige, hard top, 6 cyl motor, 3 spd, very good original upholstery, $4,500 obo,

this one popped up. this is different than the other two i posted and im trying to get the seller to send me a few more pictures before even bother driving all the way out there to look at it. alot more money but seems to have all the parts.

few bel air questions. are all bel airs, business coupes and 2dr sedan front wheel drive?

1953 CHEVROLET BEL AIR, hard top, 235 engine, power glide, needs resto, not running, rust on usual spots, has skirts/visor, $3, 500,

is this one even worth it? looks like hell to me. honestly the broken windows and other f-ed up items look better than this POS

#18 ·
IMO (in my opinion). i think the 52 is a much cooler looking car. Maybe because i am used to seeing them.
When i chop it. I may end up ditching the post anyways, not for sure though.

the no post car is definitely cooler but if that thing has the doors rotted away the floor pan is most likely gone and will probably have serious structural damage to it. Too bad people don't properly store these cars...

#19 ·
Riot Racing said:
IMO (in my opinion). i think the 52 is a much cooler looking car. Maybe because i am used to seeing them.
When i chop it. I may end up ditching the post anyways, not for sure though.

the no post car is definitely cooler but if that thing has the doors rotted away the floor pan is most likely gone and will probably have serious structural damage to it. Too bad people don't properly store these cars...
if you'v never chopped a car, don't try it without any experience on an earlier/ easier chop ( such as a Model A ). otherwise, the car will end up destroyed. to many pie cuts, cutting and filling, and pulling, that you wouldn't know what to do.

#21 ·
The panel is a truck panel (assuming that it is a 41 Chevy - not that familiar with the trucks) not a 41 Master Deluxe Sedan Delivery.

There were no 52 BelAirs. The BelAir came out in 53.

A 53 business coupe was based on the 150 model (the 150, 210, and BelAir were all new models for 53).

I would go with the 53 business coupe (always had a soft spot in my heart for them - or was it my head?).

Even if I would chop it, I would think twice (or 3 or 4 times) before trying to make it a hardtop. Getting the windows to seal at the top and where the door window meets the qtr. window would be a huge headache. At best, it will whistle in the wind. At worst, you will get wet.

#23 ·
man i didnt think such cars are worth as much this, i watched a complete and original 53 or 54 bel air convertible go to the shredder that a towing guy had here in town, maybe i shoulda got it off him

he mighta got 100 bucks off it scrapped

hum

the ytowing yard guys dont care about vehicles they just scrap them

#24 ·
redsdad said:
The panel is a truck panel (assuming that it is a 41 Chevy - not that familiar with the trucks) not a 41 Master Deluxe Sedan Delivery.

There were no 52 BelAirs. The BelAir came out in 53.

A 53 business coupe was based on the 150 model (the 150, 210, and BelAir were all new models for 53).

I would go with the 53 business coupe (always had a soft spot in my heart for them - or was it my head?).

Even if I would chop it, I would think twice (or 3 or 4 times) before trying to make it a hardtop. Getting the windows to seal at the top and where the door window meets the qtr. window would be a huge headache. At best, it will whistle in the wind. At worst, you will get wet.
Bel Air came out in 1951, as a 2dr H/T, fully trimmed, Bel Air emblems, are on rear fenders

#25 ·
I would see which Chevy is the most complete or original. As long as all the parts are there, you have a good place to start your learning experience. Just keep notes on how stuff comes apart and how you can modify for the results you want. Wish I had a few extra bucks!
Good luck,
Everett.

#26 ·
matt167 said:
Bel Air came out in 1951, as a 2dr H/T, fully trimmed, Bel Air emblems, are on rear fenders
I stand corrected. The 1950 through 1952 BelAirs were a body style of the model Styleline Deluxe. From what I have determined, the 1950 through 1952 hardtops were the BelAir body style. The BelAir did not become a model until 1953. My bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.