Hot Rod Forum banner

Which of these compressors do you recommend?

14K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  milo 
#1 ·
My air tools don't say what the CFM rating is that they need. All they say is 90PSIG max.

So I use an air drill, cutoff wheel, angle grinder, impact wrench and another grinding tool that is a big bulky handle that I will likely never use again. I have done some minor spraying in the past but the primary use for the compressor is for the air tools.

This one seems to be a decent mid level compressor:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55996

This seems like a nice small unit but a low end item. Notice how much lower the cfm rating is.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94667

This is the one I like most and the max. I am willing to pay
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34887
This one has a much higher cfm rating. But the CFM rating appears to be the only advantage of this unit compared to the first one I posted.

What would you do? I have also been searching for some used items but haven't seen anything in the size I am looking for. Most are too small.
Im not opposed to Craftsman brand stuff either but I have heard on some people buying a 60gallon size compressor and the motor not being able to fill the tank.

The less I pay for the compressor the more I can spend on the car!!! :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Your links don't work. :smash:

If you can spend the difference in cash without too much problem then it's no contest, that Puma is the way to go! The little 94667 is simply too small and you would be disappointed with it IMO, very disappointed! That Campbell Hausfeld has me puzzled with that 175 PSI rating for a single stage pump? :confused: 175 PSI is way too high for a single stage and unless that is a typo something is just not right. I notice that it seems lately all the manufacturers are using more honest motor specs and the "peak" HP gimmick has been replaced with more accurate numbers, also the "tank assisted" CFM rating is not seen anymore. If, and I am just guessing here, they are now resorting to raising the shut-off pressure in an attempt to make the compressor look more appealing that would be a big mistake and you would not want to run a single stage compressor at that much pressure, it would simply be too inefficient and would run too hot to do so.

#4 ·
While it would be possible to get a single stage up to 175 PSI it would not be practical because it have to use a very small pump for the Horse Power or turn awfully slow, either way it would build pressure very slowly and the air would be really hot. A single stage can pump low pressure at high volume or high pressure at low volume but it can't do both!

#5 ·
Exactly, They seems to be using pressure to get higher CFM rating rather than by volume.

I would look into craftsman in you max range. A bit upfront, but way better than CH or PUMA. Part's and service too.

This one looks smallish but I have one in my race trailer and it has no problem keeping up. Also it kicks on earlier than some others but the piston size refills the tank pretty fast so the SCFM rating sounds low but it's never been a problem for me. Basically you run this off the pump rather than a large reservoir.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...&+Air+Tools&sName=Air+Compressors+&+Inflators

#8 ·
That is true about the direct drive they are very noisy, but we have one for about 2 years now and it works for what we do with it which is light occasional use. If that's what you need it for it will probably work okay. Kinda like buying from harbor freight. Again this has just been my experience so far.

p.s if you do get a direct drive get ear plugs :pain:

#9 ·
new compressor

Hi,stay far away from Harbor Freight made in china compressors. they are crap,direct drives are also crap. go to Home depot and buy their $400.00 (or thereabouts) HUSKY compressor. ive had mine for almost 2 years,never let me down,runs all my air tools.might have to wait a little for the compressor to catch up.

#10 ·
Just for the record Husky is a Chinese import in-spite of that bogus label with the American flag that proclaims "Proudly ASSEMBLED in USA", it does not say "BUILT" in USA! The Puma compressor sold at HF has a good reputation and is every bit as good (better than a lot of them) as any import out there. Puma is sold nationally by several different outfits and is not a Harbor Freight house brand.

#11 ·
i have a sigle stage-dual cyl 6.5 hp 60 gal divelbiss and it will stay in front of a die grinder and air rachet together at the same time very easily i got it at lowes i think a long time ago
i think the bigger the tank the better and make shure it has a compresser motor that you can change the oil on
it wasnt that much money because its single stage but it make tons of volume

#12 ·
#13 ·
matts37chev said:
i have a sigle stage-dual cyl 6.5 hp 60 gal divelbiss and it will stay in front of a die grinder and air rachet together at the same time very easily i got it at lowes i think a long time ago
i think the bigger the tank the better and make shure it has a compresser motor that you can change the oil on
it wasnt that much money because its single stage but it make tons of volume

The Devillbiss line is usually a good outfit and some of those pumps are made in Italy, I have a twin cylinder single stage Devillbiss pump sitting in my garage right now that was made in Italy. Definitely go with an oiled compressor but as has been discussed at length don't be swayed by the tank size, a 60 gallon tank is more than big enough and it is the CFM rating that determines the compressor's performance not the tank. This myth, and make no mistake it is a myth, that "a bigger tank makes better performance" has lead to a lot of manufacturers building compressors with cheap puny pumps and motors mounted on huge oversize tanks that LOOK impressive but perform poorly! A bigger tank does NOT MAKE A BIGGER COMPRESSOR!

#14 ·
Oldred is correct - I should have qualified -

#1 Rule

Buy the biggest compressor/motor/cfm output (not tank size, as oldred correctly points out) that you can afford

I only say this because - I have NEVER said to myself...

"Darn I have WAY too much air pressure/cfm...I wish I'd bought that smaller compressor" :thumbup:

#15 ·
yes i agree however for running air tools impact or ratchet etc.(not die grinder or drill for long amounts of time)a bigger tank can kinda compensate for a low volume motor as compaired to a low volume with small tank
but the motor volume is the number a guy should look at

#18 ·
Hey all,
I found a used Campbell Hausfeld vt619503aj. Here is a link to the same model BUT NOT the unit I am buying: Link to compressor

The guy is asking $75 because he is not sure that it works. But, this is about a $600 compressor new. So here is what I am thinking:

If the pump is burned a factory replacement would be about $200.
I know the breaker is bad but that only cost $30 to replace.
I doubt the electric motor is bad, those things are way too strong to go bad.

The guy said that he came into the room after leaving the compressor on over night and the room was filled with smoke. He doesn't know what burned but he thinks it's the pump.

I am thinking I would probably even be able to rebuild the pump. I have a hone kit and access to some machinery to rebuild whatever might be fried.
But think about it, the pump is so basic. It probably has a piston, connecting rod and a small crank.

If there was smoke, then some seals problably went bad.

I don't know for sure but I am even thinking that this pump might have a rebuild kit for it.

I'm willing to put the time in to repair it but, I dont want to get sucked into a money trap. What do you think?

And honestly, Harbor frieght sells a comparable unit for like $330 with the same exact specs.

But if nothing ends up being wrong with the compressor I could get a really nice compressor for $75. Thats the gamble.

#19 ·
Riot Racing said:

[The guy is asking $75 because he is not sure that it works. But, this is about a $600 compressor new.]

That compressor is nowhere near $600 new and if you look around you probably can find it for around $400.

[I doubt the electric motor is bad, those things are way too strong to go bad.]

Don't know where you heard that one but the fact is a burned out motor is one of the more common failures!

[The guy said that he came into the room after leaving the compressor on over night and the room was filled with smoke. He doesn't know what burned but he thinks it's the pump.]

Unless the belts were burned off the thing the motor is the most likely cause of this, did he explain how a bad pump made all that smoke? :confused:

[If there was smoke, then some seals problably went bad.]

I seriously doubt seals could cause smoke and I have never seen seals BURN out, leak sure but burn out and smoke? :confused:

#22 ·
Well here it is. I only paid $50 for this.
I need to wire it up next weekend. But everything LOOKS okay.

6hp motor. 220volt, 10.2cfm at 90psi. ONLY PAID $50. I'm crossing my fingers that this baby works fine. Even if it doesn't I have a spare Briggs motor that I can adapt to it and make it work.

#24 ·
What do you guys think about this filter for my compressor? Im really just using the compressor for air tools. But, I will eventually start spraying primer and surface treatment fluids. Do I need one of those fancy water seperators or is this filter good enough for my purposes. I don't plan on painting any cars with my setup.

Air Filter

#25 ·
That's fine for using air tools, but you need to install a dryer filter up stream of the oil to do any kind of painting. Also, you need to mark the hose you use with your air tools so you don't use it for any painting. I personally have gone to regulators only down stream from a good moisture seperator and toilet paper filter. I have an oiler set up with a male and female quick disconnect on it so I can plug it in to the air tool at the start of the day for a quick oil up and set it aside for the rest of the day. Usually a few seconds of run time will be all you need.

Trees

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.