are these good traction bars for my 55 chevy??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 11:03 PM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last journal entry: My new 55 chevy pretty sharp
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

are these good traction bars for my 55 chevy???

Hey guys.
Ok here is a short story about my car,, it is a 55 Chevy with a sbc backed with a 4 speed, and 456 gears... long story short for the past 2 years i have did alot of good fun burn outs in my car and never had any trouble with wheel hopping intill today i got on it pretty hard and for some odd reason it started wheel hopping and bent my leaf springs all to heck!! i guess to much dumping the clutch at 5500 rpm lol.... well i bought a set of brand new leaf springs and below is a link to the traction bars i bought that way it dont happen again u know. I would like to know if this is a good set of traction bars, or has anyone ever used them before? or did i just waste my money lol thanks for any help with this and plz let me hear your story if this has happened to you, and i bet if your hotrodder it has http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/55-56...spagenameZWD1V
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11_1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	11832  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2006, 01:47 PM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: 1927 roadster
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I would say the look healthy enough, but I did not see the length. The longer they are the more mechanical advantage they have holding the leaf spring stable. I think they would work and certainly be better than none. I can remember in the late 60's and 70's 55-57 were using the bars that were triangulated for extra strength. LOL
Old 04-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

That is a relative term. I don't actually know what you are asking.

The "traction master" type bar pictured is 45 year old technology that is designed to reduce wheel hop. The bar places the leaf spring in tension, not compression, to reduce spring wind up, and the bar itself is the link that pushes the car forward. This set up makes a type of 4 link rear out of leaf springs using the leaf as the upper link obviously. Urethane spring bushings help tremendously also.

This tm bar reduces wheel hop but places the instant center far forward, and it has no lifting action like a "slapper bar" or "ladder bar" so its ability to plant the tires is very limited. If hooking-up is your desire, there are better products available such as the Cal-Track or Slide-A-Link.

Just because ole Shelby used them in the 60s doesn't mean that they are great. He had to build cars to fit within the rule book that allowed only limited suspension changes.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Hooking-up and being stealthy can be done by googling "mopar super stock springs" and using your existing springs to make a set for your car. They do the job and have nothing hanging down to be seen.

Basicly what you do is turn the lower 4 leaves front to rear and clamp the front ends to prevent slippage. Hopefully the # 2 leaf will reach to the front spring eye. That makes a semi-flexible ladder bar out of your spring. Use urethane bushings for no deflection. Tune your shocks for hit and lift and you are in-the-ball-park.

Not as good as CalTracs but it does work.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:11 AM

I think they'll work but I would add a second mounting tab forward instead of the single tab as shown. Moving your instant center forward is desirable and the further forward, the better. Cal Tracs would be a better deal in my opinion and would likely move I/C even further forward but you are probably all right with these depending on tubing size. The old "Slaper bars" tended to try and separate or push the body up and away from the axle housing whereas a Cal Trac would tend to make the body squat down on the axle housing. Any of the three will control spring wrap up.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.