These are Pics of my ongoing progress of painting my car. For your enjoyment. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

These are Pics of my ongoing progress of painting my car. For your enjoyment.

There is a small forum of DYI'ers I've been posting on and they have kept me pointed in the right direction w/ updated pictures of everything I do. I was thinking I would post here for everyone to browse through as they drink their morning coffee.

This process has taken so-far about 2 months b/c of weather, a bad compressor, and simply not knowing what to do and having to re-do stuff. There are a lot of pics and the story twists and turns with some ugly paint at some places. Here goes:

This is before the epoxy. In this pic all that putty that I put on I took back off. At one point I was not going to use epoxy and was going to use 2 part putty for the metal spots but decided against it.

This is the first coat of Epoxy Primer (supposed to be 2 wet coats)

I was using a decent beginner's gun but it simply would not shoot epoxy well. ( as you will see with the 2k )

After sanding down the epoxy for low spots.

I find my gun like this. ( told you I was new at this ) I didn't have the tool to take the tip off my gun. I knew I needed to clean the inside but never pictured it was this big of an area. Live and learn.

Put on 2 part glazing putty sealed it. Then tried to put on 2k. But as you will see it would not go on. It sealed fairly well but the 2k would not even come out of the gun. I wasted a lot of paint trying to shoot it.

Bought a 1.7mm tip for my gun.

Can't find my closer shot of this ^ but it was much MUCH better than before. ( still wasting paint on orange peel but that is negligible to the problems I was having. )

Blocking

As of right now it has 2 part glazing putty on some small areas. I took the door handles off and the door bumpers along the side which I should have done long time ago. I will soon repaint the patches with the putty on them and re-apply guide coat and reblock them and then re-shoot then entire car with 2k. I have a devilbliss now that someone sent me and I am going to use that.

The biggest problem I have had was shooting when it was cold. I would shoot when the temp outside was above60deg. and humidity was relatively low ( highest it was when I shot was 63% ) and kept the garage heated overnight after shooting. ( also had the car in the sun before I shot so it would warm up )

I put this all up so as many people can see it as possible and I can get as much feed-back as I can. Like I said. The forum I posted all this stuff on has helped tremendously ( one guy even sent me a devilbliss gun to use ) I don't expect for anything to be perfect but after taking some paint off my friends car and finding it delaminating I am a bit uneasy. If a guy who does this professionally and charges 3k for a paint job could screw up I certainly can.

I have some more close-up pictures of the epoxy and 2k when they were shot with the 1.4 tip if anyone would like to see them. There was a bit of solvent pop in the epoxy and i've had people say the 2k had fish-eyes but I figured out that wasn't the case. It was the fact that there was not enough paint coming out of the gun for the paint to 'bead togeather'. But in any case if you would like to see those I'd be happy to post them. Or you can take a look at my photobucket account where they all are. www.photobucket.com/mycophiles

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Sin Vertis Stratio

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

paint brands

I asked for some more info on one or your other posts, let me know and i'll help you thru this. Glad your giving it the "old college try" and learning. Keep after it
Merlin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.