They both broke - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

They both broke

What a day..I have two vehicles a car and a truck..Soooo the stater goes out on the car..OK fine..pull it out and get a new one..

Get in the truck to go to town and chase parts and about a mile and a half down the road the truck quits..

Call the tow company and off we go..usually I am pretty self suffiecient about fixing things but this a bit over the top to have 2 broke at the same time..Soo now the truck is in the shop and I am afoot...

Guess this eats the rod budget for the month...

OMT

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 07:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sam,

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Now, Sam hope you did not use my favorite statement.

"Well I had the other car apart in the garage and could not service this one"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Oh yeah...one is apart in the garage and then the other one broke at just the wrong time....Of course the rod is not done or I would drive that..

Found out I got a bad load of gas in the truck and that fouled up the works big time...and usually I am the guy who takes care of things because I have the one that runs..

OH well just another small adventure..

OMT
Old 06-07-2005, 10:07 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Man, I feel your pain. If misery loves company, maybe I can get you to grin a little at your current misfortune.

I have an '83 Volvo 240. That's one of the models where Volvo experimented with "environmentally friendly" wiring insulation. Translated, that means the insulation in high heat areas turned to a goo and then crumbled off. At that point the smoke gets out, if you're lucky, or you get electrical gremlins running everywhere. I got the gremlins: air mass meter, both fuel pump relays, the ECM and a couple of sensors.

While it was down, my son's Caprice went through its own electric gremlins. Turning left at an intersection would kill the car. Turning on the wipers caused the car to stagger in time to the wipers and sometimes die completely. Eventually, I discovered a lot of bad grounds plus one big cluster connector of wires that was being smacked by the wiper arm with each cycle.

In the meantime, he drove my old Dodge truck with its unkillable slant six. All was well until my wife's Corsica began showing signs of dying for the umpteenth time. In the short time we had owned that thing I had already replaced the belt tensioner, heater core, alternator, head and head gasket, ignition coils and assorted sensors. I was fed up with that parts gobbling, ill-conceived, non-engineered collection of disposable junk.

When we got to the local independent auto parts store, the mechanic said, "I've got just what you need. A spare car." It was a faded out 1988 VW Fox. He convinced me to take it for a drive and I bought the thing for $500. It's like a go-cart with a roof and comfortable seats. My wife used it for her 30 mile commute and my daughter took over the ailing Corsica for her 6 mile commute to school while I chased electric mysteries in the two dead vehicles.

By the time I got the Caprice going, my daughter managed to murder the Corsica and grind all the teeth off the ring gear. I sold it to the mechanic for $50 on the condition he haul it off. She refused to drive the truck and returned to riding a school bus until I could get the Volvo running again.

That turned out to be a good thing because my son came home twice as a passenger in a roll-back hauling his Caprice. Once was because of a dead fuel pump and once was due to a dead starter. Those could have been untimely deaths caused by the bad grounds and other wiring troubles. Or they could be caused by what I suspect, which is that GM fired all their engineers sometime around 1970 and replaced them with a horde of Giggling Monkeys. Why else would such a huge road barge have so many parts that only aliens, with prehensile tentacles with both fractional inch and metric sockets fitted on the ends, can reach?

The old Dodge has failed three times in about two decades: I jump-started someone once and melted the ignition module, the starter gave up the ghost once within yelling distance of a parts store, and a dead battery kept it from starting another time. It has been our go-to vehicle when all others fail. Besides keeping my son from having an excuse to cut college classes while his Giggling Monkey land yacht was acting possessed, it also rescued my daughter.

Shortly after disposing of the hexed Corsica, my daughter drove the Fox to college. Early in the three hour drive home, she stopped for a break and noticed "smoke" coming from under the hood. She ignored the pegged temperature gauge and assumed it needed oil, which she added. She then proceeded to drive the car at 65 mph for over an hour. It halted within twenty minutes of the home of one of my brothers, a certified mechanic for over thirty years. He had it towed to his carport and told me to bring a head gasket set and hope there was no cracking or warping. The head bolts were barely more than hand tight.

I fired it up after replacing the head gasket and it immediately soaked the area with fuel. The line to the cold start injector was split. I had the brainstorm of using vise grips to close it off to limp home. As I snapped them closed, I noticed a look on his face.

"I'm about to do something stupid, right?"

"If it was leaking anti-freeze or leaking oil, you might get by with that by checking it often on the way home. But the funny thing about gasoline is that it burns really well. You might be charcoal before you have tiime to stop to check for leakage."

I decided to take the truck home and leave the car until I could get new fuel lines. They had to come from Germany. $160 for the set.

You know it's tough to keep multiple drivers in a family on the road. Not everybody has the luxury of working out of their home as I did and do. Now that my wife is retired, we have more running vehicles than we know where to park. But I have time to work on things just because I want to, now, not because somebody absolutely has to have a way to work or school by daybreak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
OH well just another small adventure..
Yep. Someday you will laugh at it.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

I know the feeling Ive been there to just a couple months ago and still working to get out of it.
We have 4 cars at my house my moms Dodge Caravan, My dads Dodge Ram, My 86 chevy truck, and my sisters 85 vette. M
I have been working to get my truck running for the past few months and everytime I fix something and get it going, another thing goes wrong. Well I started driving the Ram around until we got the title and insurance on the corvette as my parents just bought it last february. The truck had just had new shocks put on and they were bouncy as hell. Well, then we got the title and stuff for the vette so I started driving it around and my dad had his truck back. I drove it for about a week and then it started cutting out like it was something with the fuel. So I started driving my dad's truck again. Little did we know, that the day before I started driving my dad's truck, he had popped a big curb the day before which leads to the problem with it. I was driving it home from work and I hear a loud pop and the truck starts getting hard to turn. I pull over and find out that the crappy shocks were loose some how. I got it home told my dad, and he drove it after tightening up the shocks my dad thought the reason it was turning on its own was because it needed new brake pads. So he went and bought new brake pads and came home pulled the passenger side front wheel off to find something more than just old brake pads, but that there was a weak weld holding the frame and A arm togahter and it broke! So that truck was out, along with my truck and the vette.
We tried at least 10 shops aroudn our area trying to find someone who would work on it. Mean while we started getting the vette fixed and fixed the fuel problem only to find out it also has a wiring issue so when you turn the key to start it, the starter keeps turning over even when you take the key out of the ignition and the engine wouldn't start because of fuel problems until the starter burned up or the battery went dead.
We finally got my dad's truck back from the shop with a new weld, another set of new shocks, and new brake pads. Ive done alot on my truck, got most of the problems fixed except for one that came up not to long ago that Im just gonna have it towed to a shop in the next day or so to have them fix it. And we haven't touched the vette at all.

Man thats a long post

Brad
Old 06-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch
You know it's tough to keep multiple drivers in a family on the road. .
Wife's car, a '99 Alero, needs the PS pump replaced, I had planned to do it this week but need to get the tool to pull and reinstall the pulley. Sunday our oldest calls from the other end of the county, his truck died and won't start and is "shooting fire out the carburetor". Sounds to me like a sheared pin on the dist. gear or a timing chain but he doesn't want to hear that, his buddy's convince him it just needs a tune up...... Can he borrow my Monte Carlo until it's fixed? The Monte is leaking oil out the back of the intake like (to quote K-star) "a 2 year old in a swimming pool" and I had parked it until I had time to yank the intake and get everything sealed up. I tell him he can use it but be prepared to add oil about every 30 miles. Yesterday my wife calls and says her blower motor is making a lot of noise. I tell her that's the PS pump, she tells me NO it's not she can tell the difference. Great a blower motor AND PS pump so I stop on the way home and pick up a blower motor. I get home and tried for 1/2 an hour to get the blower to make a noise, no noise. I finally give in and yank it out which was a lot of fun and bench test it. There's nothing wrong with, I put the old one back in. She was hearing the PS pump. The kid had his truck hauled home and another friend of his that knows Fords tells him it sounds like a sheared pin on the dist. drive gear as this is common on 460's.......... ( Im a Chevy guy but I had heard of this before ) the friend pulls the distributor. Sheared pin on the drive gear. Imagine that. The kid has a rebuilt dist. on hold at the Auto Parts store but blew all his money on tires last week and can't get it until Friday. I want my Monte back in the garage so I'm picking up the dist. tonight and dropping it in while he's at work. He'll pay me back Friday. Then if I can get my hands on the pulley tool I'll do the PS pump this weekend and the Monte takes the back seat again. My wife didn't think I "needed" it but it sure has come in handy several times..............

UPDATE: Wed. evening, the truck lives! He owes me BIG time!!!!

Last edited by Hippie; 06-08-2005 at 07:47 PM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.