They Didn't make It Perfect? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

They Didn't make It Perfect?

I had to take some time off from my project to take care of other things around here. But now I'm back. Is it common practice to have to make adjustments to your patterns and work as you progress through a project? I ask this because as I'm doing my Cadillac seat cover, I see a lot of ways to improve upon how the factory fitted these covers.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Common? Not necessarily, but it happens. It just happened to me with the '66 Corvair seats I just finished, but most of the seat covers I've re-done fit correctly. There are two ways to look at it. You can change the seat covers or add to or change the padding on the original seats. Just be careful what you change, especially when working with leather.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

I must have done something wrong upon disassembling my original seat covers because I'm having alignment problems. I probably did not mark the seat up correctly. So I'm taking the seat cover apart and making adjustments. It's coming along fine - slowly but surely. I'll tell ya (read to that in Brooklyneses ) I sure as hell am learning a lot.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

With bench seats, I never take the whole seat cover apart. Most bench seats are mirror images of the other side, so I take the cover apart up to the middle and leave the other half intact to use as a reference if I need it.

On bucket seats, I take the best seat cover of the two bucket seats off and take it completely apart, but I leave the other seat cover intact and on the frame to use as a reference in case I need it later.

This should be standard practice for you guys who are only doing work for yourself and can only work on the seats in your spare time.

Another thing to remember is that each seat cover is a mathematical equation. If part "A" is 25" and it gets sewed to part "B", then one side of part "B" needs to be 25". This is something you need to constantly check as you're making seat cover patterns, and before you start cutting out parts. This can be a huge problem if all you are doing is just copying the old parts. Say the top of your bench seat is 54" long in the back after it is sewed together and you need to sew a band on that goes from one side to the other. You measure the original band and it's 53". Do you cut the band 53" or 54"? If you're doing the seat cover correctly, the first thing you want to know is why is there a 1" difference. If you check the original seat cover and it is 54", then the band shrunk at some point, or was stretched to fit. You need to make the band 54" so that it fits correctly, not just copy the old band.

Now you're asking why this happens. When you try to copy something, you're not taking into account that each different fabric reacts differently to being sewed together. No two vinyls, even if they are the same fabric only in a different color, are guaranteed to sew together and stretch the same. Two pieces of leather, even from the same hide, can stretch and sew together differently. All of this needs to be taken into account. This can be the difference between doing a really good job and a job that looks like crap.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 04-09-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=DanTwoLakes]With bench seats, I never take the whole seat cover apart. Most bench seats are mirror images of the other side, so I take the cover apart up to the middle and leave the other half intact to use as a reference if I need it.

And this is what saved me! I took the other side off but left it in one piece. I constantly check it to see how they did it. I worked on my piece early this morning and made great progress.One side was off by 5/8 of an inch. I took that side apart 2X and repositioned the side panel a little bit at a time. The second time paid off and the top piece now lays correctly.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

Hey guys can you tell me if you see needle mark holes if you unstitch then re sew in a different spot ?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jallopy
Hey guys can you tell me if you see needle mark holes if you unstitch then re sew in a different spot ?
I you stitch inside or directly in line with the other holes - no. I already did it. But do it more than once and the vinyl starts to tear.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jallopy
If you are sewing leather, vinyl, or Ultraleather you can see the needle holes.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.