Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - is thick fiberglass a bad thing?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeembry View Post
long story short, replaced qtrs in my 70 dart. where i welded them in caused warp. i used short strand fiberglass to strengthen the thin keystone qtrs and fill the warped areas. in one spot (3"x4" area) its 3/4" deep counting the mud on top. whats your opinion on this holding up? thanks
also whats a good way to strengthen thin sheet metal?
3/4 of an inch is rather thick. The thicker the filler or fiberglass the more easily it will not stay on over time, if the car gets tapped near the fiberglass/filler repair. Depending on the product you used the thickness should not be over 1/4 inch and I think that's a bit thick.

I don't know how you welded the quarters on but a safe way is to stitch weld them...one bead at a time allowing the small weld to cool while welding at a spot further away from the original weld. This will minimize warpage.

If the panel does warp, you can use a body hammer to try and straighten the warped area, I prefer, either stretching or shrinking the metal to bring it back to it's original, I could explain but this site will give you all the information and he's already written it out:

Ferguson Coachbuilding

Hope this is what you where looking for

Ray