Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   is thick fiberglass a bad thing? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/thick-fiberglass-bad-thing-226004.html)

lukeembry 11-12-2012 09:41 AM

is thick fiberglass a bad thing?

long story short, replaced qtrs in my 70 dart. where i welded them in caused warp. i used short strand fiberglass to strengthen the thin keystone qtrs and fill the warped areas. in one spot (3"x4" area) its 3/4" deep counting the mud on top. whats your opinion on this holding up? thanks
also whats a good way to strengthen thin sheet metal?

NEW INTERIORS 11-12-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukeembry (Post 1610297)
long story short, replaced qtrs in my 70 dart. where i welded them in caused warp. i used short strand fiberglass to strengthen the thin keystone qtrs and fill the warped areas. in one spot (3"x4" area) its 3/4" deep counting the mud on top. whats your opinion on this holding up? thanks

The short strand bondo holds up well when put on right.. Why didn't you try hammering some of it out ?

lukeembry 11-12-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS (Post 1610299)
The short strand bondo holds up well when put on right.. Why didn't you try hammering some of it out ?

actually i did pull it out and finish the work but the longer it sits in the sun the more i could see a dent in that spot, i figure the area is stretched and without shrinking or leaving the dented area i will never get the panel to stay straight. the entire build is done and in paint so trying to fix with out making a huge mess.

NEW INTERIORS 11-12-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukeembry (Post 1610301)
actually i did pull it out and finish the work but the longer it sits in the sun the more i could see a dent in that spot, i figure the area is stretched and without shrinking or leaving the dented area i will never get the panel to stay straight. the entire build is done and in paint so trying to fix with out making a huge mess.

I understand..;)

poncho62 11-12-2012 09:57 AM

3/4" is a ton of filler. Personally, I would be redoing the whole thing

69 widetrack 11-12-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukeembry (Post 1610297)

3/4 of an inch is rather thick. The thicker the filler or fiberglass the more easily it will not stay on over time, if the car gets tapped near the fiberglass/filler repair. Depending on the product you used the thickness should not be over 1/4 inch and I think that's a bit thick.

I don't know how you welded the quarters on but a safe way is to stitch weld them...one bead at a time allowing the small weld to cool while welding at a spot further away from the original weld. This will minimize warpage.

If the panel does warp, you can use a body hammer to try and straighten the warped area, I prefer, either stretching or shrinking the metal to bring it back to it's original, I could explain but this site will give you all the information and he's already written it out:

Ferguson Coachbuilding

Hope this is what you where looking for

Ray

OneMoreTime 11-12-2012 10:12 AM

Getting that metal shrunk is just part of a collision repair or restoration soooo...remove the thick glass and do it over..you will thank yourself later..

Sam