Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   thick header gaskets (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/thick-header-gaskets-18398.html)

namdlo 06-23-2003 06:49 PM

thick header gaskets

im looking for any company that sells the thick header gaskets. 1/8 inch thick . i saw a set on a small block chevy but the guy who owned the car said he bought the car that way. no help. any help would be appriciated. e mail at namdlo@fidnet .com

acliffdweller 06-23-2003 07:24 PM

I have used a combination of copper and regular gaskets(Mr. Gasket) together to build out a blow out proof set up. It's also a good idea to use a set of locking header bolts.

engineguy 06-24-2003 10:04 AM

As long as your header flanges are in decent shape, you do not need thick header gaskets. Use Victor-Reinz "Nitroseal" header gaskets, which are available at NAPA, CarQuest and others. These gaskets have graphite facing bonded onto a perforated steel core. The header flange and head surface must be absolutely clean and dry. Do not use any goop or sealers. Tighten the header bolts from center to outside in several steps, just as you would torque head gaskets. Start the engine, let it warm up good and re-tighten the bolts (don't burn your hands!), shut down, let the engine cool completely and retighten bolts again. Check all the bolts and tighten as necessary for the first week or so, then you will have no more header gasket worries.

engineguy 06-24-2003 10:04 AM

As long as your header flanges are in decent shape, you do not need thick header gaskets. Use Victor-Reinz "Nitroseal" header gaskets, which are available at NAPA, CarQuest and others. These gaskets have graphite facing bonded onto a perforated steel core. The header flange and head surface must be absolutely clean and dry. Do not use any goop or sealers. Tighten the header bolts from center to outside in several steps, just as you would torque head gaskets. Start the engine, let it warm up good and re-tighten the bolts (don't burn your hands!), shut down, let the engine cool completely and retighten bolts again. Check all the bolts and tighten as necessary for the first week or so, then you will have no more header gasket worries.

4 Jaw Chuck 06-24-2003 10:25 AM

You can stack the thin ones to get the thickness if you need more clearance. Soak them in water overnight and install wet then start the engine and retorque like engineguy mentions.

Or you can just buy the good Victor steel faced gasket as he recommends and forget all this nonsense.

reddwarf 06-24-2003 04:04 PM

I got Percy's aluminum gaskets. They are made of lots of thin pieces laminated together. THey are quite thick when uncompressed

troy-curt 06-25-2003 06:19 AM

I used raised runner alum.angle plug heads on my 69 SB camaro,
Had clearence prob. I called the header co. they sent me a set of chrom flanges1/4 thick,used gaskets on both sides and accell short plugs, I`ts close but it works. HTH;

Troy;