this thing is to slow - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 09:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

this thing is to slow

i have a 78 ford f150 4x4 with the c6 auto transmission and 351 windsor
i was hoping to get some tips on what i can do to get a little better performance out of the engine and transmission.... any help?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

It depends on how much you ate able to spend.
1st. A set of 3.90 gears, larger if you have oversized tires
2nd. Headers and some free flowing exhaust
This will wake the truck up a good bit but if you still want more you will need to play with the motor. Up to this point you should only have spent about 1000.00
For the motor I would save up enough money until you can afford a decent set of smaller combustion chamber heads to raise the compression ratio as the 70's and 80's vehicles only had around 8:1 compression, another cam shaft with all new valve train, I would look for a cam with around 210-220 degrees of duration at 050 so that it could be used with the stock converter. A taller runner intake like the performer rpm and a 650 cfm carb. All this will likely be in the 1500.00 range. But before you do anything to the engine you need to do a compression test on the engine to find out if it is even worth messing with the way it is or if you will need to rebuild it before doing all this.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 PM

thanks for the help man!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

What 87 said is true. However, I will add this. Gears are the most important bang for the buck, no doubt, but on the engine, the 351 windsor can be made to run strong. For starters, if your looking for cheap power, then first off, how many miles are on it? If it has over 50,000 miles on it the timing chain needs replaced. Sloppy, worn out timing chains cause it to severly lose power. Next the exhaust. The exhaust port on the heads are absolutely pathetic. The are really small, and with a severe kink. So for the next cheap mod getting a set of headers as well as dual exhaust with a set of mufflers of your choice will be a huge step in the right direction. Fill both the front and rear differentials with synthetic lube, this will cut rolling resistance.
Installing a K and N air filter is also beneficial. Tuning it up with the best pieces you can afford is another good step. Make sure the vacuum advance is connected and is working. Install a brass terminal cap and rotor button. Get a set of aftermarket spiral core spark plug wires and do not use cheapy part store solid core wires. If the engine has sure enough high miles, over 150,000 you may as well face the writing on the wall, rebuild it before something breaks. If the engines service is still good and you want to install a cam but leave the heads you have on it for now then make sure whatever cam you get has more lift and duration on the exhaust side. The edelbrock performer plus cam would be just right for the stock engine. Add with it the headers, timing chain, intake and 4 barrel carb and the power will go up considerably. Those mods would give you a 50 horse bump in power.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.