Things people do!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Things people do!!!

I have a customer that has a 1983 Jeep Wagoneer, with the AMC 360 in it. Needs a engine rebuild. Sent it to the local engine builder, he called me today and said the engine needs the normal head work (valves, springs, and valve guides) but the crank shaft needs to be replaced. At some time, the engine must have been replaced with a manual shift trans engine. The end of the crank shaft has the pilot for the manual trans not the auto trans that the truck has. Well according to the engine builder the pilot is not removable, its either a auto trans crank or its a manual trans crank. Well whoever installed the engine last had used an air hammer to try to knock out the "not removable" pilot bushing in the end if the crank shaft and destroyed the crank. But still installed it into the truck and let it go that way. The truck never ran since my customer brought it to me. I would have to believe that it would vibrate like crazy, being that the end of the crank was not supporting the torque converter?? The truck came from California. At least it will be correct after I get done with it.

Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2006, 01:44 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I'm an AMC nut, and this is the first time I've heard of a late AMC V-8 crank that won't work with an auto or manual. The 72 and later auto doesn't use a pilot bushing, only the sticks. The earlier Borg Warner autos generally use a bushing to size the crank hole to the torque converter guide.

There is an exception -- the early 70s TH-400 equipped Jeeps had a bushing or spacer. But Jeep has used the 727 since 1980. So unless someone replaced that crank with an earlier model (70 or 71 360), or the entire engine is that model, someone's on crack!

The pre 72 crank flanges should be flat on the back. 72 and later has a ridge that the Torque Flite flex plate indexes on. A flywheel fits either, but you have to have a Borg Warner (pre 72) or Torque Flite flexplate (and crank). The TH-400 (used from 71-79) has a special spacer and/or flexplate and might use a bushing.

AMC V-8s are externally balanced. You MUST use a flexplate or flywheel for the size engine used.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I'm not sure what year the engine is out of. When the rebuild shop sends the parts back I will post some pictures of what he has told me about the crank.

Steve

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.