think i gotta problem with my 289 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 05:45 PM
66 mustang

Wiki Edits: 0

think i gotta problem with my 289

took my 66 stang for a cruise yesterday to watch motor bike racing, long story short was cruising at 100kph, our limit, come into small toen and backed off the pedal, and noticed a cloud of smoke in my mirror come out the back, accelaerated and another big cloud, stopped at gas station checked all levels of fluids.Started car up, lotsa smoke and wouldnt take off unless i had lotsa pedal down, got going and headed home, no smoke when cruising at 100kph, only when backing off the gas and under acceleration, gey clouds of smoke.Any ideas??? please dont tell me its major!!!!
later gator
russ

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 05:48 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinny
took my 66 stang for a cruise yesterday to watch motor bike racing, long story short was cruising at 100kph, our limit, come into small toen and backed off the pedal, and noticed a cloud of smoke in my mirror come out the back, accelaerated and another big cloud, stopped at gas station checked all levels of fluids.Started car up, lotsa smoke and wouldnt take off unless i had lotsa pedal down, got going and headed home, no smoke when cruising at 100kph, only when backing off the gas and under acceleration, gey clouds of smoke.Any ideas??? please dont tell me its major!!!!
later gator
russ
Check to see if there's ATF in the modulator vacuum line, down at the tranny.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:36 AM
66 mustang

thanx cobalt, does it sound serious to you??? im hoping motors not screwed, will check atf after work tomorrow, too bloody cold down here at the moment, middle winter here.roll on summer!!

later gator

russ
Old 07-05-2010, 07:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

If it's the modulator, it's a USD $12 part, located on the lower right side of the transmission and has a vacuum line attached. Again, if that's the problem, replace it and possibly the spark plugs (may be fouled). Of course a valve stem seal (or several) may have gone to heaven as well. Fords have a tendency to wallow out guides so a head rebuild with new guides may also eventually be in order. Also - check the PCV. Occasionally they will stick open - and will draw lots of oil into the engine. A USD $4 part and a set of plugs possibly.

Check the engine operation with a vacuum gauge as well - should have 16-21 in Hg with a steady needle.

Dave W
Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
thanx cobalt, does it sound serious to you??? im hoping motors not screwed, will check atf after work tomorrow, too bloody cold down here at the moment, middle winter here.roll on summer!!

later gator

russ
A ruptured vacuum modulator will not hurt the engine, per se- it can, however, actually draw enough ATF up into the engine that you will actually see the ATF level drop in the tranny, and the motor oil level rise! I had this happen w/an old parts chaser Ford Torino wagon w/a 351C/FMX in it. And this whole time, the tranny shifted perfectly. I couldn't believe it.

You could have problems w/ring seal, valve stem wear, valve seals deteriorated, etc. But you have to start somewhere, and this is an easily overlooked problem that's easy to check.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:

later gator

russ
Off-topic, I know ... but how do you define "cold"?
Present temps:
Auckland 12 C (54 F)
Wellington 10C (50 F)

Christchurch is significantly cooler, though. 2 C (34 F)
Even we Canucks might have to wear a pair of jeans and a sweater.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:23 PM
66 mustang

thanx for all the replies guys, think you are right, i remember on the previous run the car wouldnt move when i started it, when motor got warm then was all good, so thanx guys, ill have a go myself and if too tough, shes off to the shop.

66gmc

south island here regular frosts in winter, however summer round here 25 to 32 degrees c.
i hate winter sooo much, it gets me a bit down sometimes.
I have visited vancouver and had a real ggod time there.Real nice people, got a bit tired of the "your welcome" prolly coz a lotta people dont say thanx round here.Summer is horse arcing abd car cruising times, all good.
cheers brother

later gator
russ
Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Winter ! !

Here in the Northern rocky Mountains near Yellowstone park they say we have 6 months of winter then 6 months of poor snow ski weather . 2 weeks ago, middle of june. It froze a lot of stuff in the garden.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 AM
66 mustang

hi tim, guess i shouldnt be moaning eh?? You either like the cold or like me, i dont, i got mates who ski all the time and they cant get enough of the cold.Im a summer man.
cruising in my cars and my truck.Spending my kids inheritance lmfao

later gator
russ
Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Hey Whinney.......that might fix the the smokin problem but the real problem is the valve covers........

Do they say ....FORD.... on them??????? Sorry buddy, I just couldnt help myself....
Old 07-07-2010, 07:57 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

hay whinney

I don't like the cold any more. when i was a kid we ski'd, ice skated,. hunted in bad weather, Now I wonder why I am building roadsters, and a T speedster, I was thinking the other day I should get the 41 chevy pickup in and do it first and put in a good heater, last year we never turned on the house air conditioner .
Old 07-10-2010, 07:58 PM
66 mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Hey Whinney.......that might fix the the smokin problem but the real problem is the valve covers........

Do they say ....FORD.... on them??????? Sorry buddy, I just couldnt help myself....

lol, least ya got a sense of humour, ive always been a ford man, my son has always been a chev man, he had a 65 impala, a very beautiful car, however he had to sell it to buy his first home.My next classic car i want to buy is a 69 or 70 camaro, so im not biased really.I just love the sound of a V8
later gator
russ
Old 07-10-2010, 08:04 PM
66 mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I don't like the cold any more. when i was a kid we ski'd, ice skated,. hunted in bad weather, Now I wonder why I am building roadsters, and a T speedster, I was thinking the other day I should get the 41 chevy pickup in and do it first and put in a good heater, last year we never turned on the house air conditioner .
oi, tim, i just love summer here or anywhere, i could never live in a cold environment more than 3 months or so.Springs about 6 weeks away so im looking forward to that,i have a huge blossom tree at the front of my house, man you should see the pink blossom at full peak.Drop dead gorgeous! as for ya 41 chev heater, do it brother, gotta keep warm as we get older.

later gator
russ

Old 09-14-2010, 05:18 PM
66 mustang

cobalt 327, many thanks for replies, i procrastinted enough, went and saw my mechanic yesterday, took me so long coz i thort my motor was gone.He told me exactly what cobalt said, some line sucks up atf into motor.Getting towed to shop tomorrow.Said a small job 300 to 400 bucks? Just cant wait to get my stang back and cruising again.Even the wif misses her, even though when i first got my car, she was so mad at me, after about 6 months she loves my car as much as me now!

later gator
russ
Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Whinny, I'll post some average fall/winter temps from my area:
October: +10 down to -10 *C or so
November: -12 to -20*c
December thru Febuary: -20 to -40*C.

I wish I had your winter temps,

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.