thinking about a 454 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2003, 06:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

thinking about a 454

I don't know a lot about 454's. I'm going to be building an engine for my 1980 Camaro Z28 and am thinking of one. What are some good parts? I have been looking at:
intake manifold - edelbrock super victor - #2927
heads - trick flow R series big port aluminum - #41400008
cam - comp cam magnum, 306/306 - #11-220-4
carb - holley 4500 dominator 1,150 cfm - #0-7320-1

I'm trying not to completely break my bank, which I know is harder with a big block, but I want a little bit more then a 350 could give me. I'm not sure if all of these parts are compatible, and thats why I'm asking for help. Thanks a lot.

My IM sn is LeftoverChrisack if anyone would like to help me out.

O yea, I was thinking of running like 11.5:1 compression. Those parts I was looking at were all on the summit site.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2003, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

The parts you are looking at are more geared to the track than to a reliable driver. If you are looking for more "go" than most dual purpose cars then the dominators and 11.5 to 1 compression are OK, but pump gas will be questionable and maintenance will probably be high.
What are you looking at doing with the car, a "weekend warrior" affair, or..?
Old 12-22-2003, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

I'm looking for more of a track and fun car. Not an every day thing. Something I can work on and just have fun with. I have my rice rocket to drive around for everyday use. lol
Old 12-22-2003, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

with the parts your speaking of youll need a good steel crank, good valve train parts, good rods, & above all good machine work & advice. If this is your first time building something I highly suggest something abit more conservative, unless you have some good personal friends with knowledge to guide you. John
Old 12-22-2003, 07:56 PM

Hey Lefty...AWESOME idea! I`m in. When my 355 ci. breaks I will go BIG.

There is a brightside and darkside to ALL engines.

The most important part of your parts and set up is "Your" goal. You can put a 10 second car together with a small block 350. But a big block 454 is some bad ****!! laugh!! And you may have to put more money into the car such as ... suspension. A big block is heavier. A big blocks parts are more expensive. A big block uses more gas!

On the other hand...the fastest cars in the world ( most of them ) have BIG blocks in thier cars.

I will stick with my small block and make it fast as I can. When it`s over, I`ll put in a BIG Block and hopefully the kids will be out of the house.

( stick with the small block, unless you have some cash )

Old 12-22-2003, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

I say you stroke that 350. You can make TONS of horsepower and torque with a 383, and it would be much cheaper and lighter than a big block.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:58 AM

Last photo:

I got a call last night about a supercharger my friend has for a 350 so that might be an option if I can get a good price out of him. I want something fast, who doesn't, but I'm not totaly sure with what I want to do yet. Theres too many options.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:03 AM

KeithB123 is definitely right about BBC parts being more expensive. The first thing I would do in your shoes is figure out how much the entire engine will cost you to build. The heads and carb are going to cost you some dough by themselves. Then compare that figure to the price of a new GM ZZ502 or even better a new 572 crate engine. Something to think about.

I have a 408 BBC in a Chevelle right now and have been contemplating building something bigger, like a 454 or 496. I haven't done a lot of research on them yet but it looks like AFR has some killer aluminum heads.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

What do you guys think of the Brodix heads. Part number BRO-2021036.I was thinkin maybe these with the edelbrock victor intake manifold (part # edl-2907).
Old 12-23-2003, 02:05 PM
Rooster

I'm a hardcore bigblock fan, but, if I was going to build the fastest engine possible within constrants of a budget it would be a small chevy. with todays aftermaket cranks and stroke kits there is nothing small about a small chevy. they are and always will be hard to beat....
Old 12-23-2003, 02:58 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

If I didn't know better, I'd think you are looking at the parts catalogs and are picking the biggest item in each category. You may build an engine capable of 600 HP, but are YOU capable of extracting that kind of power from it?

You'd be far better off to use a set of oval port heads, compression around 9.5-10:1, a hydraulic or solid cam in the .550" range and around 235-240 degrees duration at .050" lift.

This kind of build would be far less temperamental on the street, and you would be more likely to make more USABLE power from it.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

I'm not going to be driving this thing around town to do errands.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.