Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Thinking about building a custom straight axle front suspension
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 11:37 PM

Last journal entry: Timepiece - Design in Blue
Wiki Edits: 0

Thinking about building a custom straight axle front suspension

I am thinking about building a custom front axle for my street rod, and just wanted to run my thoughts by some of you who have actual experience with straight axle front ends. Here's what I have in mind
  • I have a pair of GM G-body (Monte, Regal, Cutlass, Prix) front knuckles (complete with rotors, bearings, and calipers) that I plan to have line-bored through the tapered ball joint holes to accept bronze sleeves.
  • The axle itself would be a dropped configuration, fabricated from sheetmetal, with sleeved tubular ends designed to mount the G-body knuckles, with a long bolt.
  • The bolt would be the strongest hardest sucker I can find, with a nylon insert lock nut on the bottom; and a pin or saftey wire for extra peace of mind.
  • The axle would be mounted with really short, dual, semi-ellipitical leafs; with custom frame rails that arch over the axle.
  • The front spring mount, on each side, would be a pocket inside the frame rail; and leaf sliders for the rear mounts (instead of shackles - cleaner)
  • I am also thinking about adjustable blocks between the spring and axle for precise alignments.

Why go through all this? I get relatively modern brakes and bearings, and a really trick front suspension hanging out in front of the truck, and the satisfaction of saying "I did it my way".

Thoughts?