Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
Are you saying that you are going to mount the spindles with a long bolt instead of a king pin?
I didn't elaborate on that because I wanted to see if it would draw attention to itself.
Yes, that's exactly what would have to be done. That is the one area of te deisgn that I am not sure of, and wanted more feedback on. There is not enough "meat" on the spindles (in the balljoint mounting areas) to bore them for relatively large diameter king pins. When I first realized this I started to just scrap the whole idea, but then I thought about how small the tapered shaft of the ball stud portion of the factory balljoints are. I decided to at least give the concept a serious once over.
Maybe a better option, over bronze sleeve bearings in the knuckles, might be to bore them for a press fit solid shaft. A bronze sleeve bearing (I.D. sized for the shaft) would still be in the axle to allow the knuckle to pivot freely, and without wear. The shaft could have a rounded head on top, and external retaining ring on the bottom.
Originally Posted by cboy
I'm a huge fan of using existing parts to fashion novel setups, but in this case it sounds to me like the amount (and risk) of specialty fabrication work might outweigh the "did it myself" badge of courage. But if you're up for it...who's to argue.
Point taken. I am pushing myself there purposely. I'm more than up for the challenge, just want to mix in some experience-based wisdom from seasoned rodders.
I haven't decided whether or not I am going to do it yet - I don't have enough info yet. I can easily abort and go with fabricated tubular upper and lower arms but... I am going to do some research on the strength of the shaft next...