Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Thinking about building a custom straight axle front suspension
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 AM

Last journal entry: Timepiece - Design in Blue
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugg
Mt first two reactions to your drawing are; The joints at the axle i-beam or tube to the up-right are high stress areas due to the length of the up-right and the design looks to be rather heavy, having a lot of unsprung weight. Additinal bracing would strengthen the joint areas, add even more to unsprung weight.
In that design there would definitely be gussets to strengthen the joint of the axle and knuckle mounts. Probably .250" 4130 with a lightening hole in it. I didn't have time to do anything else to it, so there are plenty of issues in the first model.

While the design appears to be very heavy it should actually be in the same ballpark as a traditional aftermarket straight axle. A traditional axle has somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 square-inches of .250" wall steel. My fabricated I-beam design has about the same.

I hope it doesn't seem like I am trying to discount your points guys, because I am actually taking everything you have pointed out here into serious consideration. The counterpoints I bring out are merely my thoughts on the design; and are by no means considered to be more valid than your insight. I posted the idea here for it to be critiqued and possibly even ripped to shreds. I actually have a second generation design brewing in my noggin, that incorporates some very important changes, based on the discussion here and my personal thoughts on this.

Please keep it coming...

Last edited by toddshotrods; 10-24-2007 at 08:37 AM.