Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Thinking about doing a paint job with a candy...Got some ?'s
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 05:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thinking about doing a paint job with a candy...Got some ?'s

I searched the site, but didn't have any luck finding answers to my questions.

I've seen some paint on a Big Dog chopper that I want to do for my own bike. However it is a candy color and I'm not sure of the process since it's been a while since I've painted and will be the first time with a candy color. So... I'm just thinking of the basic process. I was thinking of (after prime and prep) 3 coats base, wet sand, and then three coats base and then another round of sanding. Seems to be pretty typical of todays painters. But when I do the candy, I'm not sure how many coats to lay on. Also, from what I've seen/read the candy coat is more "misted" on there rather painted. Is this correct? Is there any sanding on the candy coats before the clear goes on?

Finally, on a lot of the T.V. shows I see a lot of the painters doing complete coats of filler on the cars to get a smooth base on the cars. This certainly can't be the best way to do it can it? It seems to me like at least it takes some of the craftsmanship away from the metal work. Either way, what type of product are they using? Seems its got to be a good product if you can't coat a whole car or bike with it and it stands up to the stress of driving/riding.

Thanks for any info you can pass my way!!
mR