Thinking about getting a welder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 02:40 AM
'49 Suburban

Last journal entry: Recharging
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thinking about getting a welder

I'm bringing my Suburban home from school and have been debating buying a welder. I don't know much about welding, but from what I've heard, mig welders are fairly easy to get the hang of. I've only welded once in shop class, so I will also be learning with whatever I get. This welder on Harbour Freight caught my attention.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44567

It's a 115v gasless mig which I guess just makes it an "m". Will it be powerful enough to weld 4" box steel? The idea of a gasless wire feed welder appeals to me because not having to have a tank of gas sitting around would make it easier to move and store.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 04:32 AM

Last photo:

hey kid, don't buy that welder. it's flux, you don't want flux. the amperage is to low. at a minimum buy a 115V-136-140 amp mig with gas. a lot of guys prefer 220V-180 amp migs, but you need a 220V plug. after lots of study i bought a 115-135 clarke mig with gas (25-75 mix, CO2-argone) (SP) it will weld anything if you watch the duty cycle.

OLDRED MAY POST HERE, listen to him, he knows just about more than anybody about welding.
i posted a more detailed version of my answer, but it dissapeared when i hit "preview post", so this a condenced version.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I;ll move this to the tool section, as Tech says, give a listen to Olred. Dan
Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

The Lincoln 220 MIG from Lowe's is a very good machine for about $600.00

PS.I don't recommend a 110 welder.

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 02-14-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:05 PM

I have a Hobart Handler 120 and have no complaints about it... its rated to 1/4" and I have done truck frame repairs with it as well as body panel replacements. They used this model in the auto body courses I took and they hold up great to all the punshment the students put them through... Lincoln also makes a good welder. I would also recommend using the gas as mentioned by others.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:24 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

You need to consider what you MIGHT want to do with it. That unit, as was said is not a MIG, but simply will use flux core wire, with no gas. MIG is welded with gas also, and makes a big difference.

If you are sure that you will only be welding relatively thin materials, being 5/16 or less, then you really want a MIG welder, and can most likely get by with a 110 unit. If you are only going to have one welder, and think you MIGHT need to weld something heavier than that from time to time, you should consider getting a 220 MIG unit.

Also... Take what OldRed says as gospel when it comes to welding.

Aaron
Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

The 220 machines are a night and day difference.I would never buy a 110 welder.For the little difference in $$.Do yourself a big favor and don't get a 110.I have been welding for over 25 yrs.And never welded with a good 110.Just trying to help you.Today you might be welding light panels.But there will come a day when you will need a bigger and better machine.Take my word for it.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Think of it as a investment. A good welder will last for years and years. Get a 220 volt one at least 150 amps and get one with gas. That way you can weld anything that you would ever want to weld building and working on cars etc. You get what you pay for so don't cheap out. I have a Miller 160 that I have had for over 15 years and I like it.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:48 PM
'49 Suburban

Last journal entry: Recharging
Last photo:

Thanks for all the input. Price will most likely restrict me to a 110v set-up for a mig. I read the welding discussion in the knowledge base, and although a lot of people were panning them, what about stick welders? From what I see, they are cheaper and are mainly used for structural work, which is what I would like to use this for. It may not be a bad idea to get a stick; after all, I won't know what I'm missing besides, I could afford a 220v system.

'paul

PS. Why are non gas wire feed welders so bad? Is it a safety issue, or just messier?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

You have a better and cleaner weld with a MIG.If you are planning to build cars and do panel work,The last thing you want is a stick welder.Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:05 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
hey kid, don't buy that welder. it's flux, you don't want flux. the amperage is to low. at a minimum buy a 115V-136-140 amp mig with gas. a lot of guys prefer 220V-180 amp migs, but you need a 220V plug. after lots of study i bought a 115-135 clarke mig with gas (25-75 mix, CO2-argone) (SP) it will weld anything if you watch the duty cycle.

OLDRED MAY POST HERE, listen to him, he knows just about more than anybody about welding.
i posted a more detailed version of my answer, but it dissapeared when i hit "preview post", so this a condenced version.
I have the Clarke also,I just use flux core in mine(but it is gas compatable)It does a good job,I have fish plated a frame with it(Boxed chassis nissian, splash gaurd and mouse's nest led to frame rot), It did jut fine on it.
Shane
Old 02-14-2008, 09:07 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Double post
Shane
Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: grill and rear end
Last photo:

YES YOU CAN USE A STICK OR A FLUX CORE BUT A MIG IS BY FAR THE BEST AND EASIEST TO USE ON ALMOST EVERY ASPECT OF CAR BUILDING.WITH A STICK AND FLUX CORE YOU HAVE TO CLEAN OFF THE FLUX WHEN YOU START AND STOP TO DO A PROPER JOB. WITH THE MIG YOU CAN START AND STOP ALL YOU WANT WITH NO CLEANING. YOU CAN GET BY WITH ALMOST ANYTHING BUT IF YOU WANT TO DO GOOD WORK WITH THE LEAST AMOUNT OF EFFORT ,GET A MIG.SORRY FOR THE CAPITALS IT WAS AN ACCIDENT.BUY A MIG!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

You will have a he** of a good time welding up a panel on a car with a stick welder.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

Like everyone said don't buy that welder you will certainly be disappointed with it. With only two heat settings, a 10 % duty cycle (10% if you get lucky!) and the fact it is cheaply made means it will hardly be usable at all, two heat settings and flux core makes it a TERRIBLE welder for body work!. If you are going to stay with a 110 outfit then you should take a look at the little Lincolns and Hobarts, they cost more but they are worth every cent. Also, although I have never owned one, the Clarke welders seem to be getting a lot of good reviews and hardly, if any, negatives and they are priced right so you might want to check them out also. If you plan to do mostly body work with some light frame/suspension work then you can probably get by with the 110 machine but if your main purpose for the welder is going to be more than body panels then you really should look at the 220 outfits, it's a lot cheaper to spend a few dollars more now than to up-grade later. Like Adtkart said that is a flux core welder in that link and not a MIG (M)etal (I)nert (G)as, there is no such thing as a "gasless" MIG.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.