Thinking of buying a disassembled 39 Chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 11:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thinking of buying a disassembled 39 Chevy

I just returned from the Goodguys Indy show 'n shine where I looked at a '39 Chevy humpback 2 door sedan that is in pieces. The Owner claims the car was a complete rod (driver type) that had an engine bay fire about 4 years ago. He has disassembled the car and stopped there. He is asking $13,500 for the car as-is. Included in the price are many of the parts and components needed to reassemble the car.

Parts and Components include: Rebuilt 355 cid w/ mild cam & 650 cfm Edelbrock quad. Not sure about other engine components. 700R4 trans. Mustang II IFS w/ air bag suspension, 9" disc brakes & power R&P. Reconditioned copper/steel radiator. Dual aluminized exhaust w/ dual chamber Flowmasters.

15" Budnik polished alum wheels w/ Goodyear rubber. Monoleaf rear suspension w/ air bags & Ford 9" rr w/ disc brakes. Not sure where the master cylinder assembly is at. New 16 gal poly gas tank. GM steering column w/ LeCarrera billet steering wheel. The frame appears to be solid and straight. The car is on wheels and sits level.

Interior includes bucket front seats, rear bench seat, door and side panels, all in leather that will need work to recondition. Will need a complete work over. Interior will need headliner, carpet, insulation, seat belts, gauges, wiring harness, stereo system and Vintage Air package.

Body is a little better than fair. Some evidence of body filler. The top has not been chopped. Evidence of rust appears to be minimal. Salvaged replacement hood plus the scorched hood. Front fenders have been stripped and look fine. Rear fenders ar in primer and look decent. Front & rear chrome bumpers (fair chrome) plus bumper brackets. Complete headlight assemblies and grille. 75% of glass is included. Fire damaged glass needs replacing. Car was set up w/ power windows all around.

I'm sure I have missed a bunch of stuff, but from what I have described, is 13,500 a good price or is it more or less market? I know that once the work begins all kinds of things will be needed, like gaskets, nuts, bolts, clips, drive shaft, etc. But if all the parts were bought seperately the money could go higher.

What do you think? What critical items have I overlooked?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

H'mmm

Just how bad do you want a 39 Chev..that is the first question...

From the description of the pile of parts it sounds like most of it is there and that may be a fair price for all of that..

Now the expenses to put one of those together..nuts and bolts..paper towels..parts cleaner..sandpaper..and various other sundry items can run into some bucks..

Interior? How much are you planning on there??

Can you do most it yourself?? If so then maybe you can get it done for reasonable..if not then it can get real spendy hiring the work out..

Up to you what to do now..Most of us are doing this because we like cars and like the "tinkering" and the camraderie of fellows..

Just my thoughts

OMT
Old 06-13-2005, 01:05 PM

Thanks for your advice.

I intend to do most of it myself. The interior would be done by others as would the paint and final body work. But the mechanics, wiring and final assembly I can handle with a little help from my family, friends and neighbors. I would expect the project to take 2-3 years to complete. I think one of my biggest concerns is how honest and forthright the current Owner is and how much he has cannibalized the car before he decided to sell it and what condition the drive train is in.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:41 PM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

Jeff (beenaway) has one of those doesnt he?
It seems like ALOT for an unassembled, undrivable car... also it seems like its a project car, you gotta be able to justify that price to yourself..
Old 06-13-2005, 02:20 PM

Thanks. You are the second person today that has said it sounds high for a bunch of used parts. I have asked the owner to list in writing ALL the parts and peices that are part of the deal as well as the status of the title. We will see how interested he is in selling the stuff.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:32 PM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd37
Thanks. You are the second person today that has said it sounds high for a bunch of used parts. I have asked the owner to list in writing ALL the parts and peices that are part of the deal as well as the status of the title. We will see how interested he is in selling the stuff.
I'd ask him, why he thinks its worth 13.5 in the shape its in... I see online they go for twice that, assembled, so maybe its worth it. I dont know much about old chevys. it seems like a pile of parts is only worth the value of the parts (as used parts), not the value if they were assembled into something...
Old 06-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

One of the most expensive parts of any restoration/build is stuff like trim, window trim, chroming etc....How is this stuff... It's all the little detail stuff that costs you. Check this stuff out.

Personally, I would "Lowball" him....say $5000 and you will haul that pile away.........

Budget RVs
Old 06-14-2005, 08:19 AM

I've sent him a letter this morning requesting him to inventory all the stuff that is included. Even if I don't buy the stuff, I figure I'm doing him a favor by forcing him to gather all the parts and list them. We will wait to see how interested he is in selling the stuff by how soon he gets the info documented and sent back to me.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:43 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

IMO- TOO Much money.

Fire damage is scary. Fatiqued metal.

How did it effect the firewall? Front cowl? Lower cowl supports? Fenders? Inner fenders? Frame fatique? Air bags get burnt or weakend? Headers?

The interior is bad? About 8-10 K to have someone else do the whole thing(Right). Thats a worst case scenario requiring 100% rip and replace.

Front fenders were stripped. Any evidence of bluing where they got too hot? May be tough to straighten out.

Places to look for damage
1.) bottom of torque tube frame (flat section) Look THE WHOLE LEGTH
2.) Cowl supports (by your feet)
3.) Front floorboards
4.) firewall (warped)
5.) Just behind the doors. Look from the inside to see if there was rust repairs done.
6.) Rockers rot out BAD on these. Lift on the doors to see if the pillar is moving.
7.) trunks rotted out
8.) With fire, any rubber near the fire will be toast. Brake lines, airbag lines, fuel lines, etc.

Sounds like if you could find a "gennie" (Untouched genuine), you'd be farther ahead. They can be bought for well under $4,000.00 for a decent one.

MII and rear leaf= $3500
Airbag system ? Add $1,000?? Maybe?
Rear end = $400 (junkyard)
Column: Ididit= $350
SBC/700r4 = $5,000 for NEW
Interior= Depends on your tastes. Junkyard seats, and creativity would be less than $1,500. Including guages

I think you can do better, passing on this fireball.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Can be lots of difference

Lets just say look at set of rocker arm covers..there can be quite a difference in the priceof something like that..If they are in the "as pulled" condition with grease and nicks that is one thing..

Now if one has the same rocker covers that have been bead blasted and polished "show ready" that is a whole different deal..

That goes for all the parts and pieces in setting a price on a basket case...

Lets just say on one end this 39 chev is a pile of junkyard parts it is one thing..

Now if it comes with some really cool pieces like a good engine from a known engine builder..a custom narrowed 9" with custom strange axles and a jerico tranny and so forth that can be a whole different deal...

A guy one the seller end of one of these deals needs to have a good inventory and proof of purchase of all his parts in order to support a good asking price...

Just my AM thoughts

OMT
Old 06-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

A nagging thought is why he started to do repair, i.e. disassembled it, and then stopped. Did he come across something he's not telling you? I always ask what the seller has to get out of it. If he comes down, come back later with a lower price and see what he says.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:26 AM

Thanks OMT for your thoughts. I had not thought of asking for proof of purchase of parts or to ask for the name of the engine shop and tech that did the rebuild.

That's why I keep coming back to Hotrodders.com. I get honest, unbiased ideas and information. Thanks Again.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:10 AM
GothRod87

ok i personally have helped rebuilded a 69 charger that a freind bought from a movie company that used it in an engine fire scene....a car thats had a fire is a nightmare..definently got to worry about warping and weak metal..we clibed in it and my foot went thru the front floor..we ended uo stripping it of anything usable and junking it...as for all the cool parts..they are prolly expensive when new ..but you dont know how old the stuff is in and what condition it is..not to mention theres a good chance that engine fire toasted or warped them beyond fixin..so in my eyes it aint worth thirteen grand..save yourself ALOT of money and go on ebay and find yourself something in better shape..persoally id take rust over fire damage,,just my 10 cents,
GOTH

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.