Hot Rod Forum banner

Thinking of doing 1st paint job. Am I crazy?

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  jcclark 
#1 ·
Ok, I've priced out paint for what I would like to do on my 54 dodge.. HOK from start to finish.

Epoxy prime
Sealer
HOK Course metalic strato blue
HOK Oriental Blue candy
Clear

Total for paint thinner all the stuff (I think). About $1200. That's alot of green. I don't think it's crazy though. Now comes the bad part. The extent of my painting consists of some patches I did on one of my cars a long time ago... It turned out Ok blended well and no one could tell. That was on a a one step paint though.

I'm anxious to do it myself, but what I want is a challenging job. Candy Blue.

I'm prepaired to do some practice runs. I've preread the tech sheets. I've also heard that the HOK paint is a good product that is not hard to work with. (Understand that is relative.)

So from those who have done candy paints am I crazy to try this for my first full paint job?

They have another option...

SHIMRIN® KANDY BASE COATS

Kandy Base Coats are a mixture of Kandy and select Pearls into a SHIMRIN® Universal Base Coat that mimics a Kandy finish.

Which may be the way to go on this case...

I have looked at their paint chips in person, took them out in the light and was stunned by how nice they looked.

Basically, I want to do this myself, but don't want to throw away the money. I could handle having to buy some extra paint to practice with, but doing everything and having the candy not come out right would put me back at square one right? Or is it possible to "fix" it and not have to go from scratch?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
What are you using to transport the Kandy with?
You need an inter coat clear for it.
More money. :D

The KBC's are great for first timer's but they have the pearl in them which give's a different effect than straight Kandy over metallic.So you need to decide which you want.Tough one for sure.

You can pick up a pint of the KK Koncentrait and have your supplier give you a quart of base paint BINDER,which is the semi clear base for all base colors to mix the KK in and use that to practice with on mixing and laying Kandy out. I use Dupont Nason binder and reducer.This costs me about $40.00 and you end up with 2 quarts of sprayable material if the paint binder is a 1:1 reduction.

Like I posted earlier, Expensive paint make a good painter out of you and are much more "user friendly" compaired to Value Line stuff.

Spraying Kandy isn't THAT hard but it is tricky and requires some practice for sure to lay with even coverage. CONSISTANCY is the name of this game. From mixing to spraying that will make the difference.

Even with looking at the paint chip's, They are only a guide line as even with using all the same materials,you can end up with a different shading due to YOUR ability's. AND, Laying it out and changing your mind on coverage.

"Ohh, That look's even better." :evil:

Check out Kosmoski's DVD on painting his 'Stang's Kandy job from start to finish,Great "How To" for most anybody.

#3 ·
Everyone has to start somewhere. I chose a complicated graphics design using bc/cc for my first paint job. Up until then I was a rattle can painter. The finished job is in my gallery (the Corvette). Two Very Important things to keep in mind. 1. Preparation is 50% of the paint job. Spend a lot of time getting the surface to be painted perfect and you'r paint job will have a much better chance of turning out right. 2.. Good equipment.. My ElCheepo gun started acting up and made life really ruff. It was replaced by a good gun and life is better now. Have good quality equipment, practice with it and know how to adjust and maintain it and you'll do fine. If I can do it, Anyone can.. :thumbup:

#4 ·
got a question...

ok a friend of mine who has a chopped 51 merc...wants to do a flame job..he does airbrushing as a hobby..however..he wants a mike lavalee truefire flamejob, but he went got this mickey harris instructional dvd...now the question who is mickey harris? is he any good? did he waste 80 bucks on this guy? :confused:

#5 ·
Magnus_Jager said:
So from those who have done candy paints am I crazy to try this for my first full paint job?
Yes! But don't let me stop you! I'd think your best bet would be a color like Ford's Sonic Blue, code SN. Looks good and lots easier to spray, since it's a regular 2 stage job.

Or is it possible to "fix" it and not have to go from scratch?
Not really. The most common failure in candy is to have dark and light areas from uneven application of the transparent candy color.

#6 ·
anyone who can brew their own beer, can do a paint job. Yours is a big one for a first timer, but with some practice, you can do it. don't be afraid to use some paint on a few practice panels first. your final product will greatly benefit from it. money well spent it will be. :thumbup:

#7 ·
Don't do a candy as your first paint job is my recommendation. Paint a few regular BC/CC jobs and learn the gun and application before you tackle a candy. There's a heck of a lot of nice regular BC/CC colors to choose from nowadays, and they are a heck of a lot easier to repair if the application goes wrong. Bob

#9 ·
Well a paint job on the house took priority so I did not get to this yet. I absolutely loved the blue candy I saw on a truck last summer at Chrysler's at carlisle. I have seen that HOC has a base clear that is not quite a candy but similar qualities.

At the moment though the car is on the rotisserie getting some finish work done on the underside

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.